Larger-pool: Liverpool is one of the fattest cities in the country

Put down that Maccies – Liverpool’s been revealed as one the most obese cities.

| UPDATED liverpool obesity

Terrifiying new statistics have revealed the state of waistlines across the country – and Liverpool has the biggest.

The data shows that out of  9 of England’s most populated cities, Liverpool comes joint worst with Birmingham in terms of health.

The city is also  worst in terms of deprivation and for childhood obesity, with almost 1 in 4 children being classed as obese.

A typical Scouse snack

Males in Liverpool also had a life expectancy of over four years shorter than their compatriots in Bristol, and has a mere 10.4% of people being involved in moderate exercise.

Tragically, 33% of people who were told they were not exercising enough said that nothing would encourage them to do more.

Without AU night, there’s just no reason to do sport

The research, conducted by the Royal Institute of British Architects, was aimed at considering how buildings affect the lifestyles of the people nearby.

Robin Ireland, speaking on behalf of Food Active, declared that in order to fight the problem town planners needed to provide “A healthier environment which provides access to green space and safer streets and makes it easier to be physically active”

This stance is in stark contrast to much of the council’s work – such as the controversial attempt to close Sefton Park Meadows– and is testified by Liverpool’s poor ranking for green spaces.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.