The winter wardrobe: so right but so wrong

When the weather gets chilly, all sorts of fashion faux-pas come out.

Coats hoodies sunglasses wellies winter trends

They say there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing; FOLLY.

There is most definitely such a thing as bad weather, and as soon as January comes we all fall into a sleep deprived, exhausted, “could not care less if my life depended on it” state of mind when getting dressed in the morning.

All you can think when you open up Glamour or Look magazine and see article headlines such as “Just because the temperature has dropped, doesn’t mean your style has to!’ is: GO AWAY- you do not have exams, assignment deadlines, Raz induced hangovers and you probably don’t live in the North.

To my fellow fashionistas this is a hard time, we would Beyonce strut in our finest attire every day if we could, its our thing, but when the alarm goes off at 7:30am and all you can hear is the rain lashing off the window and the wind blowing a Gail, 90% of the time you think BOLLOCKS TO IT ALL, and we end up looking like this…

This is exactly how not to dress in the winter.

COAT

It’s the centre piece to your entire outfit and the main attraction of your look. It has a two fold purpose:

1. Keeping you warm
  2. Looking good.

Usually its around 72% more important that it looks good over keeping you warm, however in the peak of January this statistic becomes void and you determine that it’s all about finding a coat that covers every crevasse of your body. Your 6ft 4. housemate’s puffa jacket? Your dad’s knee length (so your ankle length) fluorescent hiking coat? It’s so, so wrong but GO FOR IT.

6ft 3 house mate’s puffa coat perfect for a 5 ft 3 bod

SUNGLASSES

I didn’t quite think sunglasses in the winter were a thing but HEY apparently so and this is not a type of behaviour that can be condoned. They are the perfect accompaniment for winter sports, but I assure you, not for winter trends. Unless you’re a cast member of Hollyoaks, there is no reason to wear sunglasses in the winter months while living Liverpool.

Of course it’s the perfect way to hide your Morticia eyes after just the wildest pard-AY and everything in the grey, ominous sky looks just a little bit more like sunshine and rainbows, all valid points, but can they really be excused?

You may look like Victoria Becks but are they really necessary?

WELLIES

Wellies in the winter- odd or not? We’re not at Glasto but who really cares? You need full protection against every Arriva bus that seems to seek out the biggest puddle of polluted stagnant water to tidal-wave all over your legs when it drives past you. But at the end of the day, while the pavements are dry they might be an unnecessary accessory, as tempting as it may be, lets keep clear of the leopard print Wellingtons.

Until the blizzards hit lets keep the wellies at bay

HOODIES

How tempting is it to wake up in the morning pull out your LEAVERS 09 hoody and just allow it to do the talking that day. Put the hood up, pull the draw strings tight and get on with the day.

I cave in myself on a regular basis and pull the oldest, most washed out, largest hoody I own out of my wardrobe and just wrap myself in it all day. You notice the looks, the glances of judgement about your lack of effort, you recognise the error of your ways but it’s too late to turn back now. The hoody is on and your decision is final. It’s not until you’re half way to uni on the bus and you think… this was a bad choice.

No one needs to know its me in this hoody…

But, at the end of the day, we’re all in the same boat come the winter months and beginning of semester two, dressing for prime protection and ultimate comfort seems the way forward, regardless of what Vogue is telling us to do.

We’ll pick up our game in the Summer. Promise.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.