What a worldie: liverpool named 3rd top city to visit worldwide

Rough Guides have named Liverpool in the top 3 cities to visit across the globe in 2014.

3rd best city worldwide albert dock England Glasgow liverpool Rough Guide top cities top destinations UK

Liverpool has been named the 3rd best city to visit in 2014… worldwide.

Travel gurus from Rough Guides announced their top destinations for this year last week, with Liverpool coming third only to Sarajevo in Bosnia and, not surprisingly, Rio De Janeiro in Brazil which nabbed the top spot.

The home of The Beatles, Albert Dock and Abbey Clancy- it’s no wonder Liverpool is the place to be in 2014.

The city has always been renowned as a cultural hub, and this year will see even more unmissable events, including:

• the return of the Sea Odyssey Giants in July
  • Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Festival in May
  • Everyman Theatre reopening in March
  • The Grand National in April
  • Liverpool Sound City in May

The guide picked out the city’s Baltic Triangle as a highlight amongst the city’s “full-blown cultural renaissance.”

The Sea Odyssey will be returning in July

Rough Guide said about Liverpool: “What began with the gradual redevelopment of the Albert Dock area has evolved into a full-blown cultural renaissance.

“Liverpool, once named the world’s pop music capital, has rediscovered its mojo. And guess what? It’s setting trends again.

“Visit in 2014 to experience the Liverpool Biennial, a ten-week-long contemporary arts festival over the summer that sees the city filled with works from around the world.

“Also keep an eye out for new creative quarters like the Baltic Triangle, where bars and fashion studios are springing up in old, brick-built warehouses near the Mersey.”

Liverpool was the only English city to be named in Rough Guide’s Top 10.

Glasgow, Scotland, came in 9th place, making the UK a hot destination for the coming year.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.