Student invasion: 300 new student flats to be built in city centre

Planners have been given the go ahead to build 300 more student flats, despite councillors claiming there are too many students in the area.

city centre student accommodation student houses vauxhall road

More than 300 student flats are set to be built in the city centre, despite desperate pleas from councillors to reject the bid.

An old glass manufacturing plant on Vauxhall Road will be demolished to house the rowdy students at the heart of Liverpool.

The flats will be right at the heart of the city

The site, formally the home of an 1850s J B and Treasure and Company factory, will be converted into cluster apartments anything from three to eight storeys high.

Councillors Nick Small and Sharon Sullivan have said there are already too many students living in the area and wanted the bid to be dismissed, yet planning bosses have been given the go ahead.

Councillors fear the building, which will over look residential areas, will increase nuisance and noise disturbance.

Councillors fear students will create too much noise disturbance

Labour Central ward Councillor Sullivan said: “These developments are moving in on the indigenous people of the Marybone area.

“They’re overlooked by the Cosmopolitan (student development) and if this goes ahead they’ll be overlooked by this too.

“We have 2,500 students here and while they’ve been a good asset to the city we do have behaviour problems with the students.

“When the criteria for student loans become more stringent, these buildings could become empty and what are they then going to be used for?”

There is currently no planning law to discriminate against building student developments, but there have already been over 60 complaints made against the proposal.

There are plans to have round the clock staff presence to keep the students under control, as well as a student behaviour policy.

Planning chairman John Macintosh said: “I’ve great sympathy with people living in this area and I take on what the councillors are saying about what’s been going on for years.

“But the problem is we’ve got a planning application in front of us and we have to abide by planning law.”

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.