Review: The Very Best of Laughterhouse at The Philharmonic Hall

The Laughterhouse at The Philharmonic Hall had the audience in stitches,with some comedians delivering a truly sparkling performance.

The Philharmonic Hall played host to The Laughterhouse comedy night last Saturday, who describe themselves as “the city’s premier stand-up experience”.

The crowd, mostly made up of company nights out (big shout out to the rowdy carpet salesmen at the back), were promised big names and big laughs. But did Laughterhouse deliver?

Neil Fitzmaurice 3/5

Compering the night, Fitzmaurice was playing to his home crowd, and knew just how to push the audiences buttons: he only had to slag off Manchester United to have them cheering. However popularity doesn’t have to mean unoriginality, and his Rolf Harris jokes left a little to be desired.

Richard Herring 5/5

Few comedians could get away with discussing Keats and auto-erotic asphyxiation in the same set, but Herring did it with the aplomb and coherency that marked him out as the comedy legend he is.

Steve Hughes 3/5

Embittered observation with just a touch of the surreal, this far from stereotypical Australian comic performed with style and competence, but unfortunately did little to set him apart from the pack.

Tom Stade 3/5

You might recognize Stade from Live at Apollo, and he delivered a cheerful, consistently funny set that delighted the crowd.

Keith Carter as Nige 4/5

Keith Carter’s infamous character comedy is a Liverpool legend, and it’s easy to see why. Combining an outwardly simplistic representation of a drugged up Scally with complex jokes, a twitchy, rough around the edges joy to watch.

Mark Watson 5/5

Despite being obviously nervous, this set shone in a night that was frankly hit and miss. Watson doesn’t rely on his endearing persona, his material is strong, and accessible in the very best way. From “Call Me Baby” skepticism, to an open discussion of his reliance on alcohol, Watson provides genuine laugh out loud moments with seemingly unstudied ease.

Dave Spikey 2/5

However you feel about Spikey’s offensive comments on the people that inhabit Primark, overdone gags about shop signs and song lyric banter, make sure you pop to the loo before this guy starts talking. This only vaguely amusing set went on. And on. And on…

Overall, a mixed bag that, if you looked hard enough, contained a few truly sparkling performances.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.