Santas on the Streets

Every 1st of December, thousands of Scousers dress as Santa and run through the city for charity – isn’t Liverpool great?

Although I try to adopt a joyful and festive outlook during the Christmas period, my inner pessimist always seems to get the better of me.

Lock up your daughters, there’s some dashing Santas in town

So whether it’s informing my whole Facebook network that I’ve just seen Coca Cola’s latest Christmas ad (something far superior to the New Testament in modern times), or doing a Secret Santa, I’m afraid to say that I truly couldn’t give a monkeys’. This is of course unless I’m being showered with copious amounts of free alcohol and telling my boss what a ‘great guy’ he is at the latest workplace bash.

As much fun as it is transforming into a young Ebenezer Scrooge as soon as late November arrives, I remain open minded, and so when I was given the chance to spend the first day of my least favourite month surrounded by thousands of Scouse Santas, I cordially accepted.

Football is never far away in Liverpool

I’m talking about Liverpool’s annual Santa Dash, a bizarre charitable event that raises tens of thousands of pounds every year, and sees the city streets temporarily filled with fun runners clad in authentic Father Christmas gear.

Despite a relatively brief history (dating back to 2004), event organisers counted 8,500 participants in last year’s dash alone. Although predominantly formed by the city’s native residents and an assortment of dedicated ‘wools’ hailing from such exotic principalities as Birkenhead and Runcorn, there is also an undeniable student presence amongst the ranks.

The gruelling 5K route – an unholy prospect for a hungover student

And it’s not hard to see why: within minutes of arriving I was taken aback by the sheer number of smiling faces and overall warm hearted atmosphere filling the crowds, the likes of which I have only previously witnessed during early mornings spent at the East Village Arts Club.

Everything you need to become a fully-fledged Scouse Santa

Anyhow, after jostling through every shape and size of Santa imaginable, I managed to catch up with seasoned UoL participants Joshua Long and Rhys Lupton. As this would be the duo’s third and likely final time gracing the harsh December conditions, I was keen to find out their exact motivations in doing so.

Josh: ‘It’s all about contributing however you can when you’re a student. Thankfully there are events like this where mere presence speaks louder than any kind of direct debit’

Rhys: ‘Other commitments meant that I nearly missed this year’s dash, but after finding out the proceeds would be going to a Children’s hospice I felt it my duty to attend’

The event is also a platform for campaigning

On behalf of the Tab, a big congratulations to all who took part this year!

And if you couldn’t attend but would like to support this year’s principal cause, you can donate here.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter