Oven Door Bakery Top 10

Are you sick of picking up the same old boring sarnie? The Tab takes a look at some of Oven Door Bakery’s more unconventional sandwich combos.

| UPDATED oven door bakery

Brownlow’s Oven Door Bakery is perhaps one of the few places on campus that doesn’t try to rinse a student for all they have when trying to buy something as modest as a sandwich.

Oven Door don’t mess around when it comes to sandwiches. Forget your ham and cheese or egg mayo. These guys have balls of steel when it comes to picking their fillings.

This week, The Tab took advantage of the famed two for £2 deal and went for the sarnies that no man dares to try.

10. Piri Piri Chicken

Only got this far. Not great.

Ingredients: Piri piri chicken, lettuce, tomato

Sorry to say but this ain’t no Nandos. The piri piri promised so much but the sandwich just didn’t quite deliver. There are some things you just can’t replicate. Disillusioned.

9. BBQ Pork

Ingredients: Pork, lettuce, butter.

If you’re looking for some summer BBQ nostalgia you might be a little disappointed by this frugal creation. The BBQ element was certainly lacking. A touch disappointing even if it was a £1. Chewy.

8. Falafel

Ingredients: Falafel, lettuce.

Falafel. What a fun word to say. An option for the veggies, this greek dish might not be best suited to a sandwich. If you’re feeling thirsty, probably best to avoid. Dry as Gandhi’s flip flop.

7. Turkey and Cranberry

Ingredients: Turkey, Cranberry.

Thought there might be more to this sarnie but it was literally just turkey and cranberry. Not exactly the full Christmas roast but it might help you get in the festive mood. Jolly.

6. Onion Bhaji

Ingredients: Onion Bhaji Mix, Lettuce.

Bold filling choice here. If you’re into necking shots of tabasco and wearing tank tops on a cold day this might be up street. Be ready for a few looks if you whip this one out in the SJ though. This thing is more pungent than a Tandoori during Diwali. Spicy.

5. Houmous Salad

Ingredients: Tomato, lettuce, cucumber, not enough houmous.

A real winner for the all the veggies out there. A little stingy on the houmous but I may have just been unfortunate. Top 5 for sure. Healthy.

4. Lamb and Mint

Ingredients: Lamb, mint sauce, lettuce

Ever wondered when lamb and mint became a thing? One theory suggests  it’s a legacy of the roast lamb and bitter herbs eaten by the Israelites on the eve of their Exodus from Egypt. Possibly not part of Oven Bakery’s reasoning when picking the filling but they’ve nailed it nonetheless. Traditional.

3. BLT

Ingredients: Yeah you guessed it. Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato

A safe choice compared to the rest but you can never be too careful. This BLT hits the spot if you’re not in the mood to be adventurous. Sensible.

2. Cheese and Chorizo

Meaty

Ingredients: Spanish chorizo, English red leicester and butter in a French baguette.

No messing here. Meat and cheese. The staple of every true man. This is officially Oven Door’s longest at approximately 30cm. If you want value for your £1 look no further. Chunky.

1. Smoked Salmon Egg Mayo

Ingredients: Hard boiled egg, mayonnaise, smoked salmon

Superb sarnie for a measly £1. Powerful smoked salmon flavours complimented by the egg mayo. Best of the bunch. Resplendent.

Missed a gem?  What’s your favourite sandwich? Let us know in the comments.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.