Liverpool Man is in Hospital After Being Stabbed in Bumper

A 22-year-old man is awaiting surgery after being stabbed in Bumper on Hardman Street.

Bumper derby day drinking Everton Football Hannah's Bar Hardman Street hospita l liverpool fc Mossley Hill stabbing

A 22-year-old man was stabbed in Bumper last night in an unprovoked attack.

The incident, which occurred in the early hours of this morning, has left the man awaiting surgery to treat injuries on the left side of his face and on his arm.

The man, from Mossley Hill, was reportedly involved in an argument after buying drinks at the bar.

An anonymous eyewitness was in the club, located on Hardman Street, when the incident happened.

They told The Tab: “As we were waiting for a taxi a guy told us someone had been stabbed.  We saw a man covered in blood and an ambulance and a police car.”

The bar is today closed as forensic investigations are carried out on the scene.

Detective Inspector Graeme Robson from St Anne Street CID, said: “This was an extremely vicious and violent attack. A young man has suffered serious facial injuries as a result of being struck with what we believe was a knife.

“The bar was still busy, despite the late hour, and I know people will have seen something happen.

“Thankfully, attacks of this nature are rare in the city centre but we need to understand why this happened and who is responsible so that he can be brought to justice.

“A young man who was enjoying his night out is now seriously injured in hospital so I am appealing for anyone who knows what happened to do the right thing and come forward.”

The stabbing happened in the wake of Derby Day, which ended in a 3-3 draw.

Another incident reportedly occurred outside Hannah’s Bar, also on Hardman Street, last night, although the two events are not thought to be connected.

Anna Rhodes, who was walking past at around 11:30pm, saw numerous people covered in blood.

She told The Tab: “After the Froch/Groves match was stopped in the 9th round, choas erupted in Hannah’s bar, with tables being thrown, blood spraying everywhere and a man lying unconscious on the dancefloor.

“After the bouncers intervened and the bar was emptied, the fights carried on into the street, with a girl being bottled as she tried to run away.

“Four police vans turned up within minutes of the fights beginning, with bloodied, battered men sprawled across the Bombed Out Church steps.”

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.