Want to ride your bicycle?

TOUGH. Liverpool Council remove miles of cycle lanes

council cycle lanes liverpoool cycle lanes liverpool no cycle lanes liverpool

Cyclists of Liverpool, your time of glorious isolation in a special road lane just for you and your bus driver friends is over.

Liverpool Council have decided to abolish these lanes, totalling about 14 kilometres of cycling/bus driver exclusivity, for an experiment lasting 9 months.

Lanes getting “temporarily” removed

With winter approaching and the ensuing darker evenings, cyclists are normally even more vulnerable – the council declared that they would “monitor the impact” that the change had upon them.

Users who are “impacted”, either physically or otherwise, will no doubt be glad to know this.

Almost as dangerous as this

The decision was explained by the council as due to the lanes not having the desired effect of getting more people using public transport, yet did increase congestion in the city.

This abandonment of support for less polluting forms of transport clashing interestingly with Mayor Joe Anderson’s pledge to be “clearner (sic) and greener”.

Joe Anderson himself, presumably rigorously spell-checking his latest piece

The council is believed to be giving up around £700,000 in annual revenue from cameras monitoring the lanes, when a single fine used to cost a road user £60, so drivers will be happy to use the previously expensive privilege.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.