Cooking With Hannah: Apple Crumble

Warm yourself up this week with a comforting apple crumble

It’s November in Liverpool, and that means freezing rain, wind and ice. What could be better than cooking a tasty crumble to cheer you up? This warming, comforting pudding will serve four to five. Serve with cream, ice cream or custard, naturally. All prices are taken from Asda.

For the apples:

1kg cooking apples e.g. Bramley (£1.65/1kg)

1 tsp cinnamon (5p, 49p/100g)

1/2 tsp nutmeg (6p, £1.12/42g)

For the crumble:

100g light brown sugar sugar, I used a mix of light brown and dark muscovado but just light brown sugar will suffice (18p, £1.88/1kg)

100g plain flour (8p, 40p/500g)

75g unsalted butter (30p, £1/250g)

50g rolled oats, not the Ready brek variety (7p, 65p/500g)

Total cost: £2.39.

Method:

Get a pan big enough to fit all your apples in and pour in enough water to cover the bottom.

Peel, core and chop your apples. Place them in the pan over a low to medium heat and wait. Slowly the apples will cook down, but make sure you stir occasionally. Once the apples have cooked to your liking, remove from the heat. If you like your crumble the consistency of Cow & Gate, cook them for a bit longer. This should all take around 15-20 minutes.

To make the crumble, whiz the butter, flour and sugar in a food processor until it resembles bread crumbs. Or use your fingers to rub the butter, flour and sugar together. Stir in the oats after. Place in the fridge or freezer until the apples are done.

When your apples have cooked, add cinnamon and nutmeg to your liking and mix.

Pour the apple mixture into the dish, smoother over and top with the crumble. Bake in an oven at 200° C for about 20-30 minutes until golden brown.

Smother with custard, eat, and think of warmth.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter