Review: Scribble Presents Sketching Out

The Drama Society’s finest comedians give a masterclass in sketch performance at the Pilgrim

At their first show of the academic year in the top room of the Pilgrim on Friday, Scribble treated their audience to a confident, professional and most importantly hilarious display of fast paced sketch comedy.

The troupe open bravely with one of their more surreal sketches, an ode to a giant queen of slugs, but the gambit pays off as the audience are quickly endeared to the performers, and quickly settle in for an anything-goes evening.

Within a short space of time the group’s versatility is well-established, as they prove their proficiency in a range of genres, from an expertly satirical ‘News Review’ segment, to a ‘Les Miserables’ spoof that has the crowd in hysterics, and perhaps most memorably a cutting sketch featuring God and a closet homosexual Jesus.

Many of the actors also display their individual talents, in monologue sketches such as a flamboyant ‘acting masterclass’, and in their interactions in sketches taking in any number of the 9-strong cast.

God and son feature in the night’s most memorable performance

Understandably not every sketch really makes an impact, but the ratio of hits to misses remains remarkably favourable, and the group’s lightning fast pace means that even if a sketch falls flat, another has already begun.

Towards the end of the first half the audience do show begin to show signs of tiring, but this is more  a result of the sweltering heat of the venue as the prowess of the cast. Furthermore the fact that the second half was much shorter than the first would imply that this is easily remedied.

The cast take a well-deserved bow

Overall, considering the youth of the cast and writers, the night’s display was an extraordinarily confident one, and was for the vast majority of the performance an immensely enjoyable one.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.