The Tab Meets… Crystal Antlers

Jess Sutton catches up with the psychedelic Californians set to take the music world by storm

Crystal Antlers’ latest album ‘Nothing is Real’ was released on 15 October. Judging by their remarkable reviews from the likes of The Guardian and NME, these “out-there dudes” have taken the music industry by storm, embarking their mesmerised audience on a journey from anguish to ecstasy within one amazing album.

The Tab caught up with the band to talk about their new album. For those of you who haven’t come across Crystal Antlers, we asked them to describe their sound in three words: “Modern, California, Expressionist”. The bandmates went on to describe the album as a reflection of life in the modern world, the intangibility of the digital age, “the white noise that puts a haze over everything”… these boys aren’t messing around.

It’s obvious that Crystal Antlers have matured greatly since their last album however, despite the tone of the new album, which ricochets from misery to disorientation, the boys reassure us that it’s not all doom and gloom! Although they admit to taking on “some complex themes”, they say they are about to release a music video for the song Liquorice Pizza that will show they are not taking themselves too seriously. They go on to talk about their friend/percussionist/dancer Damien AKA “sexual chocolate” who joins them on their tours, “who makes sure that everyone knows [they] are having a good time”.

The band go on to tell us about some of their amazing experiences since they hit the big time – their particular favourite was when they packed about 30 friends in their van after a show in Paris to go and drink Champagne under the Eiffel Tower at 3am. Maybe the digital age isn’t treating them so badly after all…

So, what’s next for Crystal Antlers? It seems they are not hesitant to carry on the adventure that is modern life! The new album Nothing is Real, featuring artwork from the legendary Skateboarding Artist C.R Stecyk III, comes out October 15. The band are about to embark on a tour of The US and Canada until mid-November, and they plan on recording their next album over the winter and doing a UK/Euro tour in the Spring, and hope to see you there!

The band believe that Nothing is Real will mean “different things to different people”. Check out the album and see what thoughts it provokes in you… (be sure to skip to Liquorice Pizza when you need a breather!)

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter