UoL One of Country’s Worst Unis for Unfair Pay

New figures reveal the shocking truth about pay gaps at universities across the coutry.

unfair pay university of liverpool Young Greens

Today’s report from Young Greens places the University of Liverpool in 17th place when it comes to unfair pay.

The report, which looks into the shocking gap between the highest and lowest paid members of staff within the Higher Education sector, revealed an enormous pay gap at UoL.

A staggering 38 members of staff at the university are paid an annual salary of over £140,000 and the university has no ‘ethical contract’ in place to ensure outside contractors are paid a Living Wage.

The top pay at UoL reaches a whopping £311,317.

Yet this is nothing compared to other universities.

As well as having no ‘ethical contract’, 699 members of staff at Imperial College London are NOT paid a Living Wage salary- making it the country’s worst university with regards to unfair pay.

This is a miserly statistic compared to the University of Bath, which, coming in at 10th place, pays 1125 members of staff the National Minimum Wage when the highest paid salary reaches £367,000.

The University of London came top in the report for having the fairest pay.

The top salary there is £140,701, only one member of staff is paid over £140,000 and they do have an ‘ethical contract’ in place.

Hannah Clare, Chair of Liverpool Young Greens and Head of UoL DebateSoc, said: “It comes in at no surprise to me that the University of Liverpool ranks so high, following recent reports of unfair contracts and strikes from the workers, but it’s still a disappointment. It shows there’s no link between high wages and high achievement, and proves that we need to work towards ensuring our support staff are paid fairly.”

A University Spokesperson said: “Salaries of university heads in the UK are comparable with those in competitor countries and also with heads of other organisations of a similar size.”

Like The Tab on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and keep up to date with our LIVE blog.