REVIEW: Absolute Captain

The Tab pays the bluesy psychedelic rock trio a visit at Baa Bar

absolute captain baa bar

With over 30 gigs under their belt and a rich repertoire of psychedelic sixties influenced songs to draw from, Absolute Captain are a band who look and sound confident and passionate in their musical convictions.

Comprising simply of a bass player, guitarist/lead singer and drummer, Absolute Captain gave an uncompromisingly solid performance from the outset.

Playing as part of the University of Liverpool’s Band Society event, they provided a welcome and markedly melodious break from the heavy metal outfits that preceded them.

All photos courtesy of BandSoc

They opened with a sauntering rock ‘n’ roll number  which consisted of a catchy pulsating bass line, shuffling drum beat and vocal delivery that seemed reminiscent of Hendrix and Roky Erickson. This first song was well executed and helped the subsequent heavier, more psychedelic rock numbers to flow well. The overall effect was a performance that was tight and yet free, easy and self-assured.

After speaking to James Cain, the band’s bass player, it became abundantly clear the band’s well-balanced and confident presence on stage is down simply to the fact the three members all get along so well and enjoy some of the same fundamental styles in music.

It is a pleasure to see a band who manages to pull off such an odd mixture of cool nonchalance whilst looking impassioned at the same time but, above all that, it is the simplicity in their performance, their clear musical direction and their lack of pretentiousness that should appeal most to listeners.

Although Absolute Captain are not breaking any moulds stylistically, they are undoubtedly a firm rock ‘n’ roll band that are helping to keep guitar music around in a city that seems to be, at times, drowning in house music.

You can catch Absolute Captain at Zanzibar on 25th October.

Like The Tab on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and keep up to date with our LIVE blog.