Review: East Village Arts Club Restaurant

The Tab’s Tom Jordan checks out the EVAC’s new restaurant

east village arts club east village arts club restaurant Evac review

Most will know the East Village Arts Club for its acclaimed events such as ‘Chibuku’ and ‘Eat Your Greens’. However, it is little known that since their recent refurbishment they’ve also opened a restaurant. We decided to get down there to see what the fuss was about.

The menu sticks to simple classics that have been subtlety pimped up, most notably in the gourmet burger section, which offered an interesting variety of complementary flavours (pulled pork, chorizo). After much deliberation I opted for the most expensive choice available, steak and chips (£12).

Tender. Classic Steak and Chips.

The meat was cooked to perfection and the peppercorn sauce complemented its flavours leaving a balanced pallet. The meal as a whole was also finely prepared, making the restaurant a better dining alternative to its bistro contemporaries like the ‘Shipping Forecast.’ It was difficult to imagine this could be the same place where ‘weekend warriors’ descended for a night of debauchery and intoxication.

East Village Arts Club is not a place to pre-drink. They sell chic cocktails and premium beer at an equivalent price. It is however, an excellent venue for couples and singlet’s out there who wish to woo their love interests on the all important second or third date. A few cocktails under candlelight will undoubtedly enhance your chances, or at least make up for your other misgivings. The venue’s space and menu also lends itself as a great environment for group outings if you’re not planning on a heavy one.

Happy Customers. Edgy wall art too.

Nothing overtly negative to comment. The staff were relaxed, approachable and I left with my stomach full, lips smiling and taste buds satisfied. Although there are many positives, nothing was ‘outstanding,’. It didn’t feel as if there was anything lacking considering it’s about £10+ per head.

Certainly worth a visit if you’re not feeling the pinch.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter