UoL Moves Up in the World Rankings

… and is no longer the worst Russell Group uni! Hoorah!

jmu john moores university ljmu red brick Russell Group times higher education times higher education world ranking university of liverpool UoL

Dark times descended on UoL earlier this year as it was ranked the worst Russell Group university by the Complete University Guide.

But now Liverpool is ahead of Newcastle, Cardiff and Belfast in the 2013 Times Higher Education World rankings.

There were squirrels in halls and everything

UoL, which is, perhaps ironically, the original Red Brick university, climbed two places in this year’s THE league table to 169th place.

Liverpool came 26th out of the UK institutions listed, and 21st in the Russell Group.

UoL coined the term Red Brick

JMU also made the cut, coming in at 387th out of the top 400 universities chosen by THE.

LJMU’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Nigel Weatherill said:“We are delighted to be included in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings this year.

“Although clearly a university of our city and region, we do not limit our engagement to a narrow geography. We recognise that we have global responsibilities and embrace opportunities to make a positive impact on the world.”

The California Institute of Technology takes first place for the third year running, whilst Oxford comes in joint second alongside Harvard.

Like The Tab on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and keep up to date with our LIVE blog.