Fresher’s Fest in Review

One week on, The Tab look back at Fresher’s Fest 2k13

Amongst all the awkward chat, drinking games and ill-advised fumbles with your flatmates, Fresher’s Fest is the centrepiece of Fresher’s Week. But was it really any good?

An aura of excitement surrounded the event with the prospect of food offers, giveaways and drink offers; none of which actually ended up happening. Apparently, the food vendor had broken down on the way to the event so couldn’t make it, leaving the tent next to the marquee a disused husk of perfectly arranged tables.

This put even more pressure on the night’s main attraction, a DJ set by University of Liverpool graduate Nick Grimshaw, to supply a near-perfect performance and justify the night’s hefty price tag.  His initial scream of “who wants a 2:2?” was met with roars of enthusiasm at the possibilities of what was about to unfold.

Grimmy’s playlist included the PG-rated sex anthem Jack by Breach, Camel Club-favourite Be Faithful by Fatman Scoop, the song  for anyone who wants to seem urban and edgy 99 Problems by Jay Z and a whole host of other songs that were probably being played around Concert Square that very same night.

For many freshers, however, the music came second to their main priority of trying to pull girls in their typically unrefined ways. Mostly this involved approaching a girl from behind, placing their hands on her hips and refusing to let go until her friends were forced to intervene. Not the classiest thing to witness.

This seems to sum up the theme of the night: they tried their best but they were just out of their depth. It was clear in the failed attempt at supplying food, the mediocre playlist and the freshers’ lack of success in the pulling department.

Without a doubt, anyone who was sober enough to process reality will have come away from the event with a sour taste in their mouth, knowing that they had spent £12 to listen to half an hour of music that they could have heard for free in Baa Bar on any given night.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter