Independent Liverpool Answers City’s Call

The Tab speaks to the brains behind Independent Liverpool

business coffee discount entrepreneur independent independent liverpool

Whilst studying at Liverpool University, Oliver Press and David Williams decided to set up a blog showcasing the independent retail talent in the city.

After the hits went off the scale and the blog developed into a website with a dedicated following, the boys pioneered the concept of a discount card that can be used in independent shops, restaurants and cafes around the city.

The Tab spoke to Oliver Press, the co-founder, about his inspiration and motivation for ‘The Card’, which has already been pre-ordered by 500 people, and how the student community will benefit from their development.

‘There has been a calling for this’ – the idea behind the business has been a huge hit

The Tab: So Oliver, why did you set up the blog in the first place?

Oliver Press: Well, as David and I were walking down a main street in Liverpool, we noticed that there was 3 outlets of Costa and 4 Tescos within 1 sqare mile

Appalled by this commercial takeover, we set up the blog to promote independent coffee shops and retailers, and to showcase hidden gems within the city.

We just wanted to highlight the amazing alternative places in Liverpool, and to try and get people out of these coffee shop chains.

How did ‘The Card’ come about from the blog then?

The blog absolutely exploded, with around 500-1000 hits a day, so the need to create a website came about. After this step up, and the interest surrounding the website, we decided to take a more business-like approach to the situation.

Personally I have always wanted to be my own boss (good for you Oliver, fuck the man) and we saw a gap in the market in relation to discount websites and local retailers.

Sites like Groupon focus mainly on corporate chains, so we formulated the idea of creating a discount card that can be used exclusively in independent shops.

Oliver Press, Co-Founder of Independent Liverpool

What were people’s initial thoughts about ‘The Card’?

We carried out a survey and the data that we received was mainly positive. However, a lot of people were pointing out that they choose coffee shop chains, such as Starbucks or Costa, as they were cheaper than the independent retailers.

The discount card eliminates this problem by offering a variety of discounts, and making independent stores more accessible.

Go on then, what are the benefits of ‘The Card’?

The discounts vary from retailer to retailer, with offers such as 10% off and buy one coffee get one free (during revision period one coffee is NEVER ENOUGH).

The coffee shop OOMOO, situated on Smithdown Road in the heart of the student community, is offering 10% off. When I was doing my degree, I spent around 1/3 of my student loan on coffee (I feel your pain), so this is a great way for current students to save money during term time without them having to sacrifice their caffeine fix.

The card offers discounts at independent shops around the city

How will retailers benefit?

If £1 is spent in a coffee shop chain, only 10p stays within the Liverpool economy, whereas the figure rises to 50-60p when purchasing from an independent, local retailer.

Our logo is a boat, and it is to convey that we have set out to keep independent businesses afloat.

Discount at Heebie Jeebies anyone? Sold.

‘The Card’ is available from 1st August, priced at £10, and is available at www.independent-liverpool.co.uk

Keep up to date with all the latest deals by following Independent Liverpool on Twitter.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter