Ahoy Sailors!

Liverpool marks the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic, complete with authentic sailors.

Battle of the Atlantic Docks navy sailors waterfront

Ships and sailors descended onto Liverpool docks this Bank Holiday weekend to commemorate the Battle of the Atlantic’s 70th anniversary.

The waterfront has seen hundreds visit the exhibition, which features three Royal Navy warships.

The anniversary was also celebrated with a Merchant Navy veterans procession, along with a Spitfire and Hurricane flying over the docks in a Battle of Britain memorial flight.

Princess Anne and husband Vice-Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence paid their respects to the lives lost as Anne represented the Queen at the official Commemoration Service of the Battle of the Atlantic at the Cathedral.

The Mayor of Liverpool Councillor Joe Anderson told the Liverpool Echo:

“I’ve spoken to visitors all along the waterfront and they’ve told me they’re amazed by the city and the events we’ve put on.

“It’s been right to have the focus on Liverpool because so many of the 30,000 seafarers who died came from this city and the Blitz killed a further 4,000 people living here.

“I’m delighted by the event and honoured that the Princess Royal is here to share it with us.”

The Cammell Laird shipyard in Birkenhead was also open to the public for the first time in 20 years.

During the battle, 12,000 staff worked at the shipyard, building a ship every 21 days.

Tributes were also paid to Lee Rigby, who was murdered in an attack last week in Woolwich.

The event is still open today.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.