Bye Bye Banksy

A Banksy piece on Duke Street is to be removed and restored, where it has been showcased for nearly a decade.

One of Banksy’s most famous artworks on the corner of Duke Street and Berry Street has been removed as part of a renovation scheme, and is to be restored.

The huge mural, which depicts a rat wielding a machine gun, is Banksy’s largest piece in the country.

It was painted on the side of the derelict Whitehouse Pub as part of the Liverpool Biennial in 2004.

The piece has an estimated value of £1 million and has been gradually eroding on the side of the Grade II listed building for almost a decade.

Ascot Property Management, the current owners of the site, have been contacting several coffee chains and other businesses for a potential purchase of the site, with the implication that the mural would be removed.

However, after campaigns from urban art group Purple Revolver, a special restoration team has been drafted in to remove the artwork and preserve it.

There are several Banksy pieces in Liverpool

London commonly uses special restoration teams to preserve inner-city artworks, and the decision of Liverpool to follow suit is a step in the right direction for the city’s value of urban art.

Amber Tan, art director of Purple Revolver said:

“We’re not putting Banksy in the same category as the Beatles, but look what happened with The Cavern – Liverpool Council demolished it.

“This is the right move and we’re pleased the city council and the building’s new owners have recognised the painting’s significance and worked it into restoration plans.”

In a city that prides itself on its cultural vibrancy, Tan argues the piece should be celebrated:

“It should be a massive tourist attraction, but it has been left to rot for years. As a graffiti artist, he has a mixed following – but love him or hate him Banksy is a big player in Britain’s art scene”

The future of the piece itself is now unclear, but Ascot has confirmed that they intend to work with Liverpool City Council to reach a decision concerning the best way to display the mural.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.