Cooking with Hannah – Sweet Potato Hash

A delicious breakfast, lunch or dinner, for just 80p

| UPDATED cooking cooking with hannah food student cookbook student cooking sweet potato hash

Full credit goes to the Kitchn for this recipe. This meal is versatile, cheap and equally good for breakfast, lunch or supper. The recipe that follows is slightly different from the one above and serves one. All prices are taken from ASDA.

You will need:

• 1 sweet potato, about 200g worth- 26p, (£1.28/kg)
  • 1 onion, red, white or a mix- 14p (90p/kg)
  • 1 egg- 17p (£1/6)
  • 1 sausage (vegetarian ones work equally well) -23p (£1.85/8)
  • Dried rosemary- a couple of pence (67p/27g)
  • Olive oil
  • Black pepper

Total cost: 80p

Method

Peel the sweet potato and cut into chunks of roughly a centimetre cubed. It’s fairly important to cut them into a uniform size otherwise they won’t all cook at the same rate.

Pour a glug of olive oil on a baking dish and sprinkle over 1 tsp. of dried rosemary. Tip the sweet potatoes in and toss until they are all covered in the oil and rosemary.

Place in an oven and cook at 200°C for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, chop the onions and cook in a pan on a low heat with some oil until soft and brown. This may take up to 30 minutes.

If you are using a meat sausage, fry it for about 5 minutes until it starts to brown. Break it into smaller pieces.

Add the sausage to the pan with the onions and mix.

When the sweet potato has softened and is starting to crisp up, give it a stir and add the onion and sausage mix. Place back in the oven for another 25-30 minutes. Remove when the onion has caramelised and the sausages are cooked.

Make a hole in the middle, and add the egg. Season with black pepper and put back in the oven for a few minutes until the egg is cooked to your liking.

Serve with bread, or a salad and shavings of parmesan. Delicious!

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.