Liverpool Sound City 2013: Who NOT to miss

The UK’s largest City centre music and arts festival returns to Liverpool this weekend. Here’s The Tab’s guide on what not to miss!

alunageorge bastille florence and the machine krazy house leaf liverpool sound city sound city the cavern

Sound City 2013, the UK’s largest city centre music and arts festival, returns to Liverpool this weekend, and it’s set to be even bigger and better than ever.

Over 360 artists will perform this weekend in various venues across the city, and with previous artists including Paloma Faith, Florence And The Machine and Ed Sheeran, the festival is a must-see.

The festival will be held across over 25 different venues, including:

• Krazy House
• O2 Academy
• Heebie Jeebies
• Leaf
• The Shipping Forecast
• The Cavern

Home of The Beatles

With loads of fantastic artists performing over the 3 day event, here’s The Tab’s guide on ‘Who Not to Miss This Year’.

Thursday 2nd

The 1975 (11:30PM-12:30AM/@The Zanzibar) are a British alternative rock band from Manchester. This group have made quite a name for themselves throughout 2012 and 2013 with the release of their debut EP Facedown debut single ‘The City.’ We’re a big fan of these guys, they definitely should not be missed this weekend.

Bastille (1:30-2:30AM/@The Garage) are another must-see. First formed in 2010, Bastille began as a solo project by singer-songwriter Dan Smith, who later decided to form a band. In February 2013, ahead of the release of their debut album, the band’s fourth single, ‘Pompeii’ was released to huge demand, charting at number two in the UK. Their first studio album, titled ‘Bad Blood’, was released in March 2013, and debuted atop the UK Albums Chart.

Noah and the Whale (9:30-10:45PM/@Liverpool Cathedral). Arguably the biggest name playing at this year’s festival. Formed in 2006, Noah and the Whale quickly gained a foothold on a London music scene variously described as anti-folk, nu-folk and folk-pop. The band’s most famous hits include ‘5 Years Time’ and ‘There Will Come a Time’.

Also, remember to check out duo AlunaGeorge (12:00-12:45AM/@The Garage) well-known for ‘White Noise’ and ‘Attracting Flies,’ plus, Indie Rock band Swim Deep (10:15-11:00PM/@The Zanzibar.)

Friday 3rd

Everything Everything (11:30PM-12:45AM/@Art Academy) are an alternative rock/pop band that formed in late 2007. The band have released two albums to date – 2010’s Man Alive and 2013’s Arc – and have garnered wide critical acclaim for their ambitious sound.

Also, don’t miss up-and-coming singer-songwriters, Dan Croll (9:00-9:30pm/@The Garage) and Nina Nesbitt (7:30-8:00pm/@East Village Arts Club Theatre). Make sure you catch North London trio Theme Park (11:30PM-12:30AM/@The Zanzibar), too.

Saturday 4th

Delphic (11:45PM-1:00AM/@Art Academy) are an electronic/indie three piece aiming to be the future sound of Manchester by mixing euphoric electronica with anthemic songs. This group are best known for their singles ‘This Momentary’ and ‘Halcyon.’

Enter Shikari (9:10-10:30PM/@o2 Academy) are one of the biggest and best rock acts in the country. Their album ‘A Flash Flood of Colour’ was voted #1 album of the year by Kerrang in 2012. Well worth checking them out if you’re into that sort of thing!

Don’t miss Fossil Collective (12:20-1:00AM/@Leaf Café (Upstairs) and be sure to check out Liverpool Uni’s own Great Plain Sundance (6:15-6:45PM/@Art Academy).

UoL’s very own Great Plain Sundance are well worth a visit

Ticket Information

In advance, a three-day tickets costs £55, a 2-day ticket costs £45 and a single day is £30.

These can be purchased via the Liverpool Sound City website.

Wristbands will also be available on the day of the festival from the ticketing kiosk. However, these will cost slightly more (3 day Wristband – £70, 2 day Wristband – £55, Single Day Wristbands – £35.)

Liverpool Sound City 2013 is set to be a cracking weekend. It really would be shame to miss out!

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.