AU Ball: Wine, Shots & Sporting Rivals

It was a fancy occasion with unfancy students

au AU awards dinner AU Ball Crowne Revs sport sport liverpool university of liverpool

What do you get when you mix 5 bottles of wine per table with hundreds of rowdy students? AU Ball!

Friday marked the annual AU Awards Dinner, bringing sporting rivals together over a three course meal and copious amounts of alcohol.

Guild pres and vice made an appearance

The Crowne Plaza Hotel was absolutely bursting as just under 500 guests descended into the reception for free champagne.

This was followed by a tempting three course menu (goats cheese tart, posh chicken and then sticky toffee pudding to finish it all off), welcomed by everyone who hadn’t eaten properly all week in order to fully appreciate the proper grub.

Despite the food coming out at varying times – some tables were on pudding whilst others hadn’t even received their main meal – it was well worth the wait (except if you were a veggie as apparently their pasta was crap).

AU President Ali Parkes

However, these food blunders were quickly drowned in wine and cheering as the downing competitions began. Three guesses which team started it all off…

You can’t take students anywhere

Speeches and presentations were over surprisingly quickly, with numerous students being awarded Full Colours and other prestigious awards.

The undefeated Lacrosse team

By half 10, it was time for Revs. The dinner that had tried so hard to be classy quickly resembled standard AU, just with fancy frocks and bow ties.

Revs provided everyone with the usual drinks deals, managing to convince anyone who wanted shots that it was cheaper to buy six than it was to just buy a couple. Or at least that’s what we tell ourselves.

6 shots for £6… never a good idea.

And so AU is officially over for the year (boo hoo). Raz, anyone?

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.