JMU Strips Bettison of Fellowship

It seems Booth isn’t the only Liverpool lecturer stripped of his honours…

Bettison hillsborough Hillsborough Disaster jmu John Moores Norman Bettison police

JMU has stripped former chief constable of the West Yorkshire Police, Sir Norman Bettison, of his Honorary Fellowship after claims emerged he was involved in a cover up in the Hillsborough scandal.

An inquiry by the Independent Police Complaints Commission back in March revealed Bettison was involved in incidents that required him to answer for “discreditable conduct and abuse of authority.”

Bettison resigned as chief constable last October

On 9 April, JMU removed the Honorary Fellowship awarded to Bettison in 2004.

Bettison, who was serving in West Yorkshire Police at the time, attended the match back in 1989 and later took part in an internal inquiry.

The investigation into his role following the disaster is continuing.

JMU subsequently removed his fellowship, saying:

“In light of the conclusions published by the Independent Police Complaints Commission, Liverpool John Moores University has withdrawn the honorary fellowship awarded to Sir Norman Bettison in 2004.

“As previously stated the university would like to commend the families and friends of those who died in the Hillsborough tragedy for the dignity and fortitude they have shown during their lengthy campaign for justice.”

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.