It’s a knockout

Liverpool University’s amateur boxers host their first ever boxing show, and you’re invited.

boxing Envi Liverpool University Amateur Boxing Club LUABC university of liverpool

Liverpool’s finest boxers will be put through their paces this Wednesday as the University hosts its first ever show at local hotspot, Envi.

Liverpool University’s amateur boxing club will be competing against some of the nation’s best young boxers in 15 bouts, each comprised of three two minute rounds.

Fully licensed by the ABA (Amateur Boxing Association), the night promises to be an exciting spectacle, showcasing the University’s long-overlooked talent.

From left to right; Thomas Davies, Shaun Wallace, Mark Wrennal, Daniel Huxley, Simon Smith and Tristan Hill.

The Tab caught up with Thomas Gross, the LUABC’s Social Secretary and co-ordinator of Wednesday’s show.

What’s made you want to set this event up?

We wanted to host an event to showcase the skill at LUABC and with the aid of No Limits Gym we have been able to. Aside from the BUCS competition there is little in terms of organised events for uni boxers as we haven’t been allowed to participate in events such as the UoL v JMU varsity or the Christie Cup, so we decided to make our own to prove that it can be done. We will be bringing people from several other universities such as Durham, Manchester, Sheffield and Hull to compete against us, so this is one of the biggest events for student boxers of the year.

Has there been any student run event like this before?

As far as we know there hasn’t been a student run boxing event like this in Liverpool in the last 20 years but with the guidance of our head coach Danny Witho we have been able to organise one. There are a few across the country but to have a city with such a strong boxing heritage as Liverpool not hosting one seems like a massive shame. LUABC has been growing tremendously and this is the cherry on our year-cake. To quote Toby Boyce Vice President of LUABC: “We are going to build an LUABC deathstar”

What do you think an event like this will bring to the city?

We are bringing other universities in so hopefully we will be able to show them how great Liverpool is, both in and out of the ring. While boxing is often perceived as an exclusive and intimidating sport it has roots in the community and helps give people somewhere productive to channel their frustrations so promoting the sport is very important to many of us at the club.

Why should students come to see it?

Aside from the discounted student price of only £8 for 15 fights, it is being hosted in Envi so there will drinks and great craic with members of the club and friends. Also £8 won’t get you very far in Med so might as well get much more bang for your money. Let’s be honest, you probably wouldn’t get any at Med anyways.

Which fight are you most looking forward to seeing?

Personally I’m looking forward to watching Shaun Wallace vs Gavin Shortall. Shaun is a great fighter whom I have had the misfortune to spar with a lot and I appreciate his skill and the dedication he has put into this fight. I think that will really be one to watch.

The show kicks off at 6:30pm at Envi. Tickets are available on the door and are £10.00 for adults, £5.00 for kids and £8.00 with a student card.

Competitors need look no further than Liverpool’s David Price for inspiration

The Card

Ben Leigh (Durham) vs Tristan Hill (LU) 60kg
Connor Iddon(Jennings ABC) vs Daniel Huxley (LU) 91kg
Gavin Shortall (Durham) vs Shaun Wallace (LU) 71kg
Joe (Durham) vs Simon Smith (LU) 71kg
Dom Saphier (Durham) vs Mark Wrennall (LU) 70kg
Rory Balfour (Durham) vs Sam Lewis (MUABC) 80kg
David Birget (MUABC) vs Jake Keogh (LU) 77kg
Mamood (MUABC) vs Alan Wong (LU) 57kg
Malik Abbadi (Durham) vs Rikki Webster (Sheffield Uni) 69kg
Tommy Kelly (Higherside ABC) vs Niall Macklin (LU) 73kg
James Close (Stockbridge Village ABC) vs Joe Langley (LU) 64kg
Louis Flanagan (Sharples ABC)vs Jack Goetzee (LU) 60kg
Aiden Weatherburn (Durham) vs Joseph McShane Edgar (Long Lane ABC) 58kg
Luke Tudor (Sharples ABC) vs (Bridgefoot ABC)
Jack Haslett (Durham) vs Bemmy Aboul (Hull Uni) 75kg
Tbc vs John Fox (Stockbridge Village ABC) (skills bout 34kg)

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.