Battle of the North: Liverpool Take 2nd Place

UoL off to a great start in this year’s Christie Cup as women’s volleyball and trampolining take gold.

| UPDATED Christie Cup leeds university Manchester university sport trampolining university of liverpool volleyball

The main event may still be a week away, but UoL have had a fantastic start, taking us one step closer to securing success at this year’s Christie Cup.

Trampolining and women’s volleyball both took first place against rivals Leeds and hosts Manchester in yesterday’s games, putting us in 2nd place overall.

Only 0.5 points off first place

The fact the matches took place a week ahead of the official tournament due to a lack of space did not stop Liverpool from getting a head start.

Women’s volleyball defeated both Manchester and Leeds by 2 sets to 0, defending their title as reigning champions.

Reigning Champions: women’s volleyball win 2nd year in a row

Captain Abi Davies was delighted with the result.  She said:

“These were our last games of the season and probably the most memorable. All the hard work everyone has put in throughout the season really paid off and we had a fantastic two games. We defended our championship title and it was very much deserved.”

Liverpool trampolining also took gold after a stunning perfomance.

Handball also competed yesterday

Men’s volleyball also competed, although tragically lost to both Manchester and Leeds.  The team definitely deserves a congratulations though after AU President, Ali Parkes, was given less than 24 hours to organise a team.

The end result was a concoction of hockey players, badminton players and AU committee members… with absolutely no idea how to play volleyball.

The honorary men’s volleyball team

An intense coaching session from the women’s team enabled them to scrape an average of 6 points in both sets against Manchester, and a whopping 14 points in the second set against Leeds.

A close deciding match saw Leeds level with Manchester in the second set after Manchester won the first set.  However, the third match could not be played as Manchester booked out the sports hall…

Their deciding match has now been postponed to next week, when the remaining sports teams will battle it out.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.