Should Britain Roll With the Times?

Is it time for the UK to change its drug policy?

| UPDATED amsterdam cannabis coffee shops drugs weed

2012 was an important year for weed smokers across the globe, with marijuana being legalised for medical or recreational purposes in some US states, and Amsterdam officials sweeping aside a proposal to ban tourists from coffee shops.

Now with many EU countries (including Germany and Spain) deregulating cannabis, is it time for Britain to move with the times and legalise?

Should the UK consider Dutch-style decriminalisation?

Cannabis has been part of student life since, well, forever. The drug itself hasn’t changed much over the past few centuries –  from home-grown to cheese, the high is mostly the similar; a fit of the giggles, maybe the munchies and a desire to create. Or maybe that’s just me. Those against argue that abuse of cannabis causes unknown long-term affects, addiction and it generally screws with your mind.

However, the purpose of this article is not to justify cannabis smoking – it is to appreciate the industry and the culture as a very real business opportunity. Despite being a Class B drug, it can be found in every town, city, and village in the UK.

Drug law enforcement is fighting a losing battle. Organised crime receives huge amounts of illegal money from the sale of contraband funding ever more elaborate ways of avoiding police detection. The state has to accept this as a fact and change tack not to eliminate these gangs by imprisoning them, but by beating them at their own games.

Scheduling cannabis as a Class B drug has no doubt done more damage to society than it has improved it. Weed is prevalent, and as the state has no control anyone can buy it, even children. And with ever-stronger strains of ‘skunk’ entering the market place it is more essential than ever to seize control of the supply and regulate the industry so the public are protected.

Clear UK estimates that £7 million could be raised from the taxation of cannabis

In spite of building evidence for the medicinal uses of weed, people will continue to use it as a social drug, similar to alcohol. So ignoring this quite desperate argument from stoners across the pond, the greatest argument should be the ability to control who uses, supplies, and gets the profits from cannabis sales. The Clear UK campaign estimates the taxation of cannabis products could amount to nearly £7 million.

In Holland coffee shops are a haven for tourists to ‘smoke dank nugs’ in a safe, controlled environment, and their custom is taxed just like any other business transaction. Over there, you don’t need to buy kratom online, you can simply take a walk downtown and you will be served at most coffee shops. The government and police know who the dealers are, as the customers know what they are smoking. Is it time for the United Kingdom to realise this and deregulates so business can thrive and reach new highs?

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter