The Looking Glass Presents: Review

The Tab watches The Looking Glass Presents come back for more in their second event

Last month The Looking Glass Presents launched their first event, hosting the likes of The Great Plain Sundance, The Loose Hearts and even a quirky duo of Spanish buskers they found on Bold Street. The large attendance and positive feedback made a strong case for staking their place in the busy Liverpool events schedule but only a second night would really tell whether their place had been truly cemented.

This time round The Looking Glass Presents played host to hotly tipped acoustic act, Alexandra Jayne, relative unknowns, Johnny Jet and UoL indie band , Soho Riots, once again held at Parr Street’s Studio 2.

Admittedly this line up did not have the profile or the following of the previous bookings, causing a potential for the second night blues. Disappointingly, this was slightly the case for the first two acts who gathered a smallish crowd but it could not be denied the audience was somewhat sterile compared to the original launch.

While the crowd size did not reflect the quality of Alexandra Jayne, who frankly stormed it with her powerful vocals and original melodies, Johnny Jet kind of deserved what they got.

Alexandra Jayne

They’re set was unashamedly stretched, inserting lame jokes in an attempt to compensate for their lack of songs. Here’s a highlight, ‘Why did the scarecrow get a promotion?… He was outstanding in his field’. The awkwardness was palpable.

While their low-Fi sound, which could be compared to The Cure, was powerful at times, vocals needed work and the bassist needed to cheer up. Even a smile would have been nice.

Johnny Jet. Cheer up Bassist.

Thankfully Soho Riots brought the party for the final set, supplying a crowd and atmosphere much like the scenes witnessed at the original launch. Their slick vocals and catchy melodies even induced calls for an encore which the band duly appeased with a second rendition of their flagship track, ‘Who Your Man?’

After the show Soho Riots had this to say, ‘Thanks so much guys. That’s the best live reaction we’ve ever had. Means a lot. Thank you all for coming!’

The Looking Glass Presents will be sure to dose up another exciting mix of new bands after Easter, and with £2 for a Carlberg and free entry there is no reason not to go. Don’t miss it!

Soho Riots

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Updates for The Looking Glass Presents can be found on their Facebook and Twitter.