Review: Footloose!

LUST’s latest production had everyone dancing in their seats.

Footloose LUST Musical Stanley Theatre

A cheesy 80’s vibe, feel good songs and dodgy mics made up last night’s performance of Footloose.  But despite the technical hitches, LUST’s production of the film Kevin Bacon is always banging on about was not one to be missed.

Liverpool Student Theatre, more commonly referred to as LUST, really put on a show last night in this take on the 80’s classic.

You might have thought the price of £6 might have put people off, but the Stanley Theatre was surprisingly packed, even though promotion for the show was fairly minimal.

The songs, lines and dance routines were all perfectly rehearsed.  The on-stage band really brought the show alive; the cast’s enthusiasm for All-American cheese shining through.  Even the audience were tapping their feet and cheering along.

Speaking to The Tab, director Pete Fendall said how pleased he was at the show’s success.

“It’s the first show I’ve directed,” he said.  “I starred in Footloose before as the Preacher, so I used some of that experience to help direct this one.”

Yet even though it was his first time directing a show, there was definitely no air of an amateur production.  The perfomance screamed fun.

Each person involved really gave it their all, although a special mention has to go to Izzi Feld.  Her voice is just incredible.

At times the band were slightly too loud, resulting in the casts’ voices being drowned.  This wasn’t helped by the dodgy mics, although it was entertaining when a mic was suddenly switched on in the middle of a line.

All in all, this production of Footloose really is worth every penny.  You can catch the final production tonight, 7.30pm in the Stanley Theatre.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.