Confessions of a Skincare Junkie

Find out what action you should take when your student loan won’t stretch to Clarins.

| UPDATED beauty confessions of a skincare junkie skincare

Friends have always marvelled at the volumes of products I shovel onto my face every morning. Day cream, eye cream, serum, primer… I use every product going.

Yet, on a student budget, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to justify spending so much money on ‘essentials’.

“Who needs food when you have a good moisturiser?” is my stock phrase when I face questioning. Yes, I am an addict. And I’ve realised that I need to address this issue, face my bank balance and rehabilitate.

Goodbye, essentials

Going cold turkey was never going to be a viable option. Even the thought of splashing my face with water – and applying no products – was enough to make me make me quake in my boots. But, I was committed to my cause. The solution: embracing a cheaper brand.

Determined to save my pennies, I set myself the challenge of finding a decent skin care regime (yes, this does require army terminology and stealth) at an affordable price. Skin club Fillers offer a safe way of reducing the appearance of wrinkles with anti wrinkle injections that relax the muscles on your face.

But, where to start? What product to give up first?

Foregoing eye cream seemed sensible, since the eye area is relatively small. And yet, my inner skincare demons tell me that eye cream is the most important, since it hides 5am bedtimes and excessive partying. It gives the illusion that you’re awake, bright and ready to engage in some thoughtful learning, when really you want to collapse in the Grove Wing toilets, cradling your poor head and nurturing your embarrassed soul (I refer you to Monday Night Street Style).

Cheap and cheerful

But I was determined. I took the plunge and tried out Simple’s Revitalising Eye Roll-On, which costs £4.99 from Superdrug.

I applied the roll to my fingers, pressed it onto my under eye area gently, and repeated on my brow line, using three fingers.

Pressing the under eye…

…and then the brow line

Surprisingly, the product didn’t irritate my under eye area, and my eyes did look and feel moisturised and fresh.

Considering the price, the product worked well and I didn’t feel as though I was shovelling a jazzed up bleaching solution onto my face.

When it comes to eye cream, I’m officially a convert.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.