I Predict a Riot… Introducing Soho Riots

Liverpool Uni’s most up-and-coming band talk to The Tab

Sitting among fellow Liverpool University students in the Cypress Building ground floor is not the most rock and roll setting, I will grant you that. But these guys – the Soho Riots – are so up and coming they could be a kangaroo on speed.

“We had the idea of being a band for the first two years of uni really but nothing really ever happened….me and Harry said over summer that we’d get into it in third year. That was the plan.” singer/guitarist Andy tells me.

Who’s Your Man Now
From left to right: Tom, Andy, Harry, James

When asked to explain the name, a very honest Harry tells me simply, “It was just stolen.” Fair enough. It is taken from the name of a song by The National called “Daughters of the SoHo Riots.”

When asked if they’d ever actually caused a riot in Soho, they disappointedly said no, although they did try and console me by saying “it’s a future plan.” No pressure boys.

Merely babies of the band world, they told me they have only been a proper band since October last year. Incredible considering they have supported the 1975, a Manchester band who recently toured.

And if that wasn’t impressive enough, after only six weeks of being together they were on BBC Introducing on BBC Radio Merseyside, about which they super modestly told me they’d been on “three times now, I think?”

When asked how they juggle the music with what we all prioritise in life, studies (of course) they said:

“We have to do band practice a few days a week, it’s quite a good break from studies really.”

Tom even juggles his time between being a band member, being a student and being a Marks and Spencer shelf-stacker.  Now that’s dedication for you.

Talking about their first music video for the song “Who’s Your Man?” they told The Tab they “just about managed to get enough clips to throw a video together”…again, so modest for what happens to be a great video for a first-timer. It features a lot of Liverpool the way students generally experience it, so take the time to check it out here:

Getting the ball rolling at an early stage, the Soho Riots say they “recorded songs late October after we’d only been going a few weeks….we had planned it and we had all the ideas for it.”

They have started doing some songs for “releasing an EP at the end of April.” They’re doing some recording with the lead singer of the Enemy for it and they’re planning “a big launch for it….getting some other bands together for a good night” at the end of that month, so this definitely sounds like something to watch out for.

If you’d like to see Soho Riots for yourself, get down to their favourite venue, The Shipping Forecast, on Friday March 8.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.