The Final Whistle: 11–17.02.13

A round up of the best and worst of this week’s sport.

The Good

Exhilarating

Sport Liverpool – It’s nice to see the university has finally gotten round to finishing off their fitness centre refurbishment that’s been dragging on for longer than time itself. And what better way to celebrate than laying a few tables and chairs in the sports hall and inviting the great and the good of Liverpool University’s sporting alumni (2004 Olympic Silver medalist Alison Mowbray anyone?) to enjoy a PowerPoint presentation and cheese sandwich.

Rafael Nadal – The Spaniard managed to clinch his first trophy since last year’s French Open with victory over David Nalbandian in the final of the Brazil Open, having spent seven months struggling with a persistent knee injury. Yesterday’s win capped a great week for Rafa; although when you’re a Spanish, perma-tanned, multi-millionaire, tennis player there can’t be too many bad weeks.

The man can do no wrong!

The Bad

Wyncote Sports Ground – A sprinkling of snow on Tuesday night prompted a pressing of the Wyncote panic button as all of Wednesday’s fixtures were called off despite the snow being all but gone by midday. As the university rugby team so aptly put it ‘#fucksnow’.

How could you think of getting rid of this?!

Wrestling – Not the ‘professional’ kind, but the amateur kind that’s been an ever-present in the modern Olympic Games since 1904 and an integral part of the ancient Olympics. This week the IOC have decided that wrestling no longer warrants a place in the Olympics from 2020. Although it doesn’t pull the biggest crowds it is surely more of a test of physical aptitude and sporting competition than trampolining for instance?

The Ugly

Fallen Idol.

The LUMFC vs LURFC twitter ‘feud’ Less of a feud more of a squabble. H̶i̶g̶h̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶s̶ Lowlights included jibes about physiques, gym capabilities and pulling prowess. Need I say more.

Oscar Pistorius – A tragic accident or pre-meditated murder, the jury is still out and I’m no in position to allege otherwise but one thing is certain, Valentines Day 2013 is a date that will be remembered for a long time to come for all the wrong reasons.

He said what?!

“You can live without water for so many days, but you can’t live a second without hope. If you never have hope and want to achieve something, then you’ve got no chance” – Brendan Rogers, 16.02.13

Liverpool boss, Brendan Rogers channels his inner evangelist in an optimistic attempt to convince fans that Liverpool can still finish in the top four.

Three things to look out for next week

1. Bottom of the league, Liverpool University Men’s Football 1sts go away to unbeaten league leaders Durham University 1sts, is an upset on the cards?

2. Will Liverpool University’s unbeaten Men’s Hockey 1sts be able to clinch the league with a win over second place Lancaster 1sts? Liverpool are so far the only team to have taken any points off Lancaster so it’s bound to be a good game.

3. In another Lancaster vs. Liverpool game, the Men’s Lacrosse 1sts look to extend their unbeaten run by ending Lancaster’s own unbeaten run to go joint top with one game in hand.

*All fixtures taken from BUCS website and accurate as of 17.02.13.

Extra Time

Michael Jordan turned 50 this week. One of those sportsmen who transcend the sport they play. Happy birthday MJ.

Happy Birthday MJ.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.