Drowsy on the Mersey

American Lit students should steer clear of this ‘Moby Dick’ marathon reading extravaganza at ALL costs

Melville Merseyside Maritime Museum Moby Dick university of liverpool

Promising to be “a reading extravaganza”, the Merseyside Maritime Museum will delight students and Scousers alike with their marathon reading of Melville’s ‘Moby Dick’.

135 people will each tackle sections of the novel over 3 days… Zzzzzzzz.

In association with University of Liverpool’s Centre for Lifelong Learning, the museum will see 135 readers battle through a chapter of the novel between May 4th and May 6th 2013.

Participants shall be welcomed by other lively literary fanatics who have eagerly joined together, also offering everyone the chance to experience riveting lectures and talks.

Organisers are going all out to ensure everyone has a whale of a time.  ‘Special Beer’ will be served, adding some much needed cheer to the dreary American epic.

So if those English lectures have left you wanting more, or you’re just looking for a way to kill a Saturday afternoon, visit mobydickonthemersey.org for more information.

As the Scouse tones harpoon their way through Melville’s prose, let us live in hope that what Liverpool offers next will not be reading time by the river.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.