Films That Make It All Better

It’s winter, we all have colds, essays are piling up and everybody’s a bit miserable. What better than a feel good movie to chase away the winter blues?

Funny Face (1957)

What could be more uplifting than a musical? Funny Face is one of my favourites, it’s classy, the songs are brilliant and it’s from a completely timeless era of cinema. Audrey Hepburn is fabulous, as always, and Fred Astaire is a babe. Set in the crazy world of fashion magazines, Paris and glamour, it is surprisingly accessible, even my boyfriend enjoyed it, and he’d normally rather watch the Walking Dead.

Pride and Prejudice (1995)

Okay it’s actually a TV series compiled and the massive 6 hour run time may put you off, but this film has always been my go-to for a poorly day off. Possibly the most classic love story, get swept away from freezing Liverpool and fall in love with Colin Firth, beautiful countryside and the time when needlework was enough to ruin one’s day.

Anchorman (2004)

This film is a modern legend. Set in a 1970’s news station, it follows the charismatic Ron Burgundy and the uncomfortable changes brought about by an intelligent and ambitious woman. It’s cheesy, hilarious and the newsroom’s 4-part harmony of Afternoon Delight will make even the most miserable of colds seem a teensy bit better. Stay classy San Diego!

Legally Blonde (2001)

I know sunny California, sororities and chihuahuas seem a million miles away from the frozen north of England but Elle Woods could put a smile on anyone’s face. This light-hearted mother of all chick-flicks about a naïve blonde who tries to survive Harvard law school is adorable, uplifting and amusing – don’t be put off by the pink cover.

The Avengers (2012)

This is a fairly new film (I may have seen it IMAX – it’s not nerdy) and is now out on DVD, and probably more acceptable for the male audience to have in their collections. Boasting an all star cast, epic special effects, nifty one-liners, aliens swimming through the city, inter-galactic battles – it’s definitely the most feel good superhero movie of it’s era (much as I love The Dark Knight…).

Monsters Inc (2001)

I had to have a Disney film. Everyone loves Disney films. I’ve chosen Monsters Inc because it probably wouldn’t be everyone’s first choice but the story of monsters terrified of a little girl, trying to bring down the system, is just fun to watch. The clever little jokes, lovely story and magnificent animation make this film just as enjoyable whether you are 11 or 21, you are never too cool for Disney (okay… Disney Pixar).

Star Wars VI – Return of the Jedi (1983)

I had to have Star Wars in there, honestly I would tell you to have a marathon  (especially if you have glandular fever). Yes it’s cheesy and geeky but I would happily argue Star Wars is a cultural masterpiece. I know episode 6 is the last one – but it’s the best; the costumes, the ewoks, the death star explosion, it’s brilliant! And I don’t know every line, at all….

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

As a UoL archaeology student, I would like to confirm this is not what it’s really like (welsh hill forts are a whole different ball game). But isn’t it awesome. As you follow Indy through a world of lost relics, clues, sexy ladies, gunfights and zeppelins, I guarantee you will forget all about that essay in for tomorrow. Oh and (spoiler) he kicks the Nazis’ ass, hurrah!

There are so many more I could add, Forest Gump (actually anything with Tom Hanks), Mean Girls, Up, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jurassic Park, Roman Holiday. But hey, this selection would certainly make me a little less sniffly.