Six-a-side Stories: Wavertree Woes

31st Oct 2012 – Matchday 2 – Nightmare vanquished as Babes clinch Halloween victory Brunsdon Babes 5 Williams (2), Aplin (2), Harriman Poo Genie FC 3 It’s not often I […]

31st Oct 2012 – Matchday 2 – Nightmare vanquished as Babes clinch Halloween victory

Aplin...or is that Messi?

Brunsdon Babes 5

Williams (2), Aplin (2), Harriman

Poo Genie FC 3

It’s not often I get the chance to write positively when presented with such dire athleticism but on this night something was different. The usual cold drivel served up was for once lukewarm and in parts, edible.

The Brunsdon Babes did the impossible. They won a game. And, against all the odds, they did it in some style.

Driving rain provided the backdrop to an eerily cohesive display as a much improved Babes team wafted the cobwebs away and emerged with their first points of the campaign. Such weather didn’t stop support from showing up; attendance quadrupled from seven days previously.

Casting ghostly silhouettes amongst the Halloween darkness, the white shirted Babes were at times spellbinding. Such wizardry provided treats-a-plenty.

There was even a trick or two thrown in. Mesmerising midfield general Aplin showed glimpses of why he is known as the Geordie Messi, an audacious Cruyff turn nutmegging a Poo Genie defender inside out. Carlito’s Pizza restaurant reported a man matching Pep Guardiola’s description purchasing a kebab on nearby Smithdown Road. Surely even he was impressed.

Elsewhere Williams once again showed why he is the Babes’ leading goal scorer; a brace taken with expert precision. However the real standout performer must surely be the opposition goalkeeper, who provided assist, after assist, after assist. Never have I witnessed such generous play.

Evidently wanting to join in with the giving spirit, Harriman presented his own gift. A horrendously under hit back pass was seized upon, and a rasping shot left even Etherington with no chance. His enormous frame was not sufficient this time. Not that it would come to matter.

Even perennially useless Wilford managed to get in on the act. Launching a nowhere ball forwards with nothing but hope, the ball cascaded off two sides of the advertising hoardings before wrong footing the ‘keeper, presenting Harriman with an easy finish. The crowd erupted. The referee looked on with disbelief. The Babes were ahead.

Racing into a 3-0 lead, the Babes pulled both feet off the pedals and up onto the dashboard. Coasting is not a luxury the Babes can afford. Within minutes Poo Genie had reduced the deficit to a single goal. Nerves were evident. Fingernails began to bite. The single home supporter, wearing a replica Babes shirt with ‘NIA’ on the back, looked on anxiously.

But today the panic was short lived. Two more goals to the good and the match was beyond doubt. Even a late Genie consolation couldn’t halt joyous scenes as the final whistle blew.

Delighted with the performance, the aforementioned lone fan said “Today I was part of history. The £24 ticket fee was worth every penny!”

It seems the referee was not the only one to be conned by the Babes this week. The future will tell if the new ticketing scheme will pay off. But if the Babes keep current form up, it surely will.

Player ratings: Etherington (8), Bradburn (8), Vereenooghe (8), Aplin (9.5), Wilford (2.5), Harriman (4), Fussell (7), Williams (9)
Honourable mention: Opposition goalkeeper (10)
Attendance: 9 (one home fan)