A little help from a friend

Yoko donates £100,000 to John Moores…but she still broke up the Beatles

beatles john lennon imagine award liverpool john moores ljmu the beatles yoko ono

Yoko Ono has donated £100,000 to Liverpool John Moore’s University  to help vulnerable students at the university.

The generous donation will be used to extend the University’s John Lennon Imagine Awards, providing financial assistance to students who have been estranged from their parents or have been in local authority care.

Yoko Ono has donated a total of £360,000

The scheme was set up in 2009 after Yoko made another exceedingly generous donation of £260,000.

Her late husband, John Lennon, studied at the university back in the 1950s.

The money is given as a bursary of £1000 each year to help students have a good time and relieve financial pressures.

In its first year, 50 students received the bursary.  However, its success has dramatically increased, with 200 students qualifying for it in 2012.

John Lennon joined the School of Art and Design in 1957

Yoko Ono said: “Over the last three years we have witnessed the significant impact that the awards have had on the students’ self-confidence, achievements and future prospects.

“I know that these awards, set up in John’s name, have made a real difference to the lives of these young people and I am delighted and proud that John’s legacy lives on in such a force for good.”

The donation will be Yoko’s second to LJMU

LJMU Vice-Chancellor, Professor Nigel Weatherill said: “We are extremely grateful for Yoko’s continued support of this unique and vitally important initiative, the success of which has surpassed all of our expectations.”