Club of the Week: The Magnet

The Tab reviews some Liverpool’s most popular stop-off points and destinations on a night crammed full of booze-fuelled debauchery and mayhem. This week it’s The Magnet…

Fiver says you chickened out of trying the chilli flavoured tequila at ÇaVa. This Week, it’s a Tab favourite; The Magnet…

Located on Hardman Street, The Magnet is at a safe distance from the boozed crazed chaos that seems to engulf Concert Square on a nightly basis.

Having recently celebrated its 50th birthday, The Magnet holds an illustrious and iconic place in Liverpool’s rich musical history, having provided a gig venue for the likes of Dylan and Hendrix in their early days.

Alongside this, the bar’s exalted reputation is cemented by a long list of accolades, which includes being voted the 29th best bar in the world by the writers of GQ Magazine back in 2007.

The Venue: Spread over two floors, the upstairs is a quiet, sophisticated bar by day where you can expect to find an eclectic mix of worldly spirits on offer. However, it goes without saying that these come at a premium, so be prepared to empty your pockets if you want to do more than just admire the pretty bottles.

By night, the upstairs bar provides a welcome retreat from the downstairs mayhem where the party really goes off. As you descend, the drinks prices do too – you can pick up a double for around three quid. Be careful though, the steep stairs provide a daunting task for even the soberest of student; I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve witnessed a drunken fall. Trust me, in the morning, you’ll know about it.

Which night to go? By far, Thursday is the biggest night at The Magnet as far as students are concerned; Juicy, an ‘old skool’ Hip-Hop night really does attract a massive crowd so be sure to get there in good time to avoid having to queue for what seems like a life time under the grim Northern skies.

The Tab’s Verdict: So much is said about The Magnet’s musical history. It’s even rumoured to be the birthplace of the 80s rock band Queen, as it was here that Freddie Mercury and Brian May first performed together in a band called Ibis, in the late 1960s. If you ask me, I’m not totally sure that’s something to boast about, seeing as Queen are really, really shit. Nonetheless, The Magnet certainly provides a crackin’ night out.

A really great vibe,” 5 stars

Find last week’s review of ÇaVa here.

Next week, Bumper…