students sad to see Carni go

Posh en-suites slated by students who prefer Carnatic’s homely atmosphere

| UPDATED carnatic university of liverpool

The announcement that the university have called for 1,200 more beds has caused a wave of speculation surrounding the fate of Carnatic and Greenbank.

For nearly 50 years, Carnatic and Greenbank have welcomed freshers into their grimy arms and given them the time of their life.

Now all this is set to go in favour of en-suite rooms and lavish facilities.

It seems the plan to upgrade accommodation has already been set in motion with the opening of Vine Court last month.

Luxury Vine Court cost £45m

Built opposite the Cypress Building, Vine Court boasts an external landscaped area, its own café and even the option of a penthouse.

Typical study bedroom in Vine Court

Yet not all students are happy with the new, luxury accommodation.

Sally, a second year student, reckons that is not what being a student is about.  She said: “You’re a student.  It’s not meant to be nice.” 

Jonathon, also a second year, agrees.  He has fond memories of his time in Carnatic and said: “Carnatic is like a little student village.  I was never really bothered about the facilities or anything.”

Homely Carnatic would be missed

However, Sophie, a third year, stated: “Carnatic is a bit of a shithole.  It would be sad if it was demolished but it depends on what other halls are being built and if they’d be better or not.”

The Tab contacted the university about plans to sell Carnatic and they responded with:

“The University continually reviews its residences strategy to ensure our accommodation meets the needs of our student population.”

They continued:

“The University does not have any current plans to sell either the Carnatic or Greenbank sites.  The University is investing in its off-campus accommodation, developing new residences at its Greenbank site to provide a self-contained student village including catering and sports facilities.”