What’s On This Week

Your one-stop shop for what’s happening this week in the ‘pool!

MONDAY 15th October

Theatre

Dirty Dancing at the Empire Theatre: the West End classic visits Scouseland for a limited time only.

TUESDAY 16th October

Music

Bowling For Soup at the 02Academy: These guys have been going for 18 years now and they’ve left their American roots to bring their pop-punk tunes to Liverpool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGRxmYXi4Io

Out in Town

Liverpool Dance Music Society (LDMS) are back at The Magnet with another high profile booking: Darius Syrossian. It’s also a chance for some of the Uni’s homegrown musical talents to showcase their abilities on the decks.

Here’s our review of the night a few weeks ago, it’s definitely not one to be missed!

Theatre

Stories From An Invisible Town at The Playhouse: written by Hugh Hughes and also starring him, this is a piece of drama with a twist; the audience will witness the unveiling many skeletons from his closet.

WEDNESDAY 17th October

Music

Islands at Eric’s on Matthew Street: an alternative and unusual group complete with catchy tunes. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PElhV8z7I60

The Amazing Kappa Band at the Cavern Pub: Kappa is a legendary Liverpool guitarist who is no stranger to the Cavern and putting on a bit of classic showmanship. He’ll be playing some of his own stuff as well as some other well-known and much-loved tunes.

THURSDAY 18th October

Theatre

The Sacred Flame at The Playhouse: the playwright Somerset Maugham has written this – according to the positive reviews – gripping murder thriller-cum-love story about the suspicious death of a young war hero.

Comedy

Rob Rouse at the Slaughter House: you may have seen this guy on popular TV shows such as 8 Out of 10 Cats: he is frank, funny and all students get cheaper tickets by showing their NUS card.

FRIDAY 19th October

Music

Rick Astley at the 02Academy: the self-proclaimed one-hit wonder who sang “Never Gonna Give You Up” graces us with his presence. Should be a right laugh.

Wolfsbane at Eric’s: Heavy metal band Wolfsbane once supported Iron Maiden, despite their name also belonging to a pleasant purple flower.

Oasiz at the Cavern Live Lounge: granted, they’re not the real thing, they are merely a tribute band. That said, they are well-known for being very good at what they do and they are probably more compliant than Liam Gallagher.

SATURDAY 20th October

Music

The Complete Stone Roses at the 02 Academy: one of the longest running and most popular tribute acts to the Stone Roses and an opportunity for those of you who missed the real thing reuniting last year.

Out in town

Abandon Silence at The Masque: like LDMS, this is another house & dance music event that’s not to be missed. The night, ran by Andrew Hill, will feature a smashin’ set from resident DJ and Liverpool Uni’s very own, Harry Sheehan.

Comedy

Tom Wrigglesworth at The Slaughter House: introducing new acts in the comedy world this triple-headlined production will showcase the hilarity of Steve Harris, Neil Fitzmaurice and Seymour Mace.

SUNDAY 21st October

Music

Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs (T.E.E.D.) at the 02 Academy: this guy became known mostly from his YouTube video Garden which has been seen by over 2.5 million people. His act will include some outrageous headwear and dancing dinosaurs, apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39BirET8OIg

The Proclaimers at the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall: “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” undoubtedly being their most famous hit, this is a chance to see them do that walking-on-the-spot dance in real life.