For the 96

Andy Pope, 19, cycled the 96 miles from Sheffield to Anfield with his brother Stephen, 23, to remember those who tragically lost their lives in the Hillsborough disaster.

Brothers victorious

The second year student, who completed the trek on Saturday, 29 September 2012, had just two weeks to train and raise money.

Athletic Andy, who had to stop pursuing football due to a critical knee injury a few months ago, did not let that stop him fight for justice.

hero

Although the injury has prevented him from completing the Liverpool Marathon this year, he was determined to do something for the victims of Hillsborough.  He said: “As soon as the scandal broke we felt we had to do something. 96 people went to a football game that didn’t come home. It wasn’t their fault but they’ve been blamed for 23 years.”

Despite having no personal connection to the victims, the brothers are life long Liverpool supporters. They felt as though it was their duty to raise as much money as possible to help those who had suffered.

During the weeks leading up to the event, the brothers were extremely supportive of one another. Andy stated: “There was no competition between us. It was more about getting through it than competing.”

Although they planned their route online before setting off, several GPS errors cost them almost three hours by failing to pick up on a road closure that blocked off their route for half a mile.  As night was setting in, the rebellious brothers chose to ignore the warning sign and carried on their journey regardless.

It proved a successful risk as the boys completed their cycling in 11 hours and 45 minutes.

Throughout their journey, people contacted them via Twitter with words of support.  They responded with: “THANK YOU for everyone’s support yesterday! It pulled us through. Feeling a little sore this morning but it was well worth it!”

To date they have raised £420 which they will donate to the Hillsborough Justice Campaign and the Hillsborough Family Support Group.  To donate, visit www.96milesforjustice.moonfruit.com.