REACHING FOR THE STARS… OR THE SPOTLIGHT?

Sarah Nelson debates the nature of modern day role models.

Role model: a simple term with much more than just a simple meaning. A label which has somehow been redefined and remoulded time and time again. What is a role model exactly?

When typing the words into Wikipedia, the definition which instantly comes to light is that a role model is any ‘person who serves as an example, whose behaviour is emulated by others’. In recent years this behaviour that we speak of has increasingly been attributed to celebrities, with fame and success becoming more closely intertwined and difficult to separate than ever before.

Teenagers don’t seek to emulate successful business minds, probing politicians or those hardworking helpers in our health service. No, these jobs simply won’t do. They lack the glitz and glamour which the stars of our favourite reality shows seem to have in bucket loads. Men and women whose only claim to fame is their plastic surgery addiction, showing off with women’s vaginal rejuvenation laser job, boldness in baring all or the sordid details of their relationship which they’re only too willing to share, be it with alcohol, drugs or a fellow fame-hungry ‘star’.

Put ’em away, love…

But maybe, just maybe, this could all be about to change. This summer may not have played host to the strongest sun, but it certainly shone a light on the scorching talent which this country has to offer. Real role models. Dedicated athletes who put to shame those desperately seeking celebrity status and whose biggest achievement in life has been overcoming their self-inflicted hangovers.

Jess’ triumph

Let’s take Jessica Ennis as an example. Surely, obtaining an Olympic gold at only 26 years of age is more worthy of the title ‘role model’ than basing your career on selling your soul to magazines. Although a heptathlon competitor, she has had bigger hurdles in her life which she’s had to overcome. Four years previously, Jessica was forced to deal with the disappointment in opting out of the Beijing Games following a foot injury that left her career hanging by a thread. Yet this, coupled with the country’s pounding pressure on her, didn’t stop Jessica. Taking it all in her dignified stride, Jessica secured her stunning success and rightful place as the nation’s new sweetheart.

The gold-winning cyclist Joanna Rowswell, too, has helped radically restructure the concept of ‘celebrity’. Having been diagnosed with the hair loss condition of Alopecia at ten years old, Joanna used her Olympics triumph as a stepping stone for its awareness, rather than for fame. It makes you question those glamour girls who refuse to leave the house without every strand of their extensions being hair sprayed within an inch of their lives.

Greg Rutherford celebrates his win

This summer of true stardom also unveiled the inspirational Greg Rutherford. When met with his severe struggles and setbacks, unlike many of today’s current celebrities, Greg persevered in private. In spite of his fitness struggles and hamstring injury tauntingly tempting him to quit, Greg’s display of determination led to his gold-winning long jump performance. Maybe now young adults will be more open to the influence of public figures with a strong head on their shoulders, rather than just a drink in their hand or money in their wallet.

Damsel in distress? I dispair…

Appearing on reality shows or selling your so-called secrets should no longer count as a credible route to stardom. Just as celebrities such as Chantelle Houghton and Katie Price should not be considered ‘role models’. Sure, their entertainment value is unending; let’s not deny how gripping we find a peek inside their personal lives to be. Yet that’s no reason for them to remain as our reigning role models. Having the x factor is much more than just being in the spotlight; it’s about having the determination to ignite our own light (or torch in the case of our Olympians). But if you think that will stop me from tuning into my weekly television favourites, you’ve got another thing coming.