One Night Stand: walk of shame or stride of pride?

Should we feel guilty for getting our leg over or our body under? Why not just embrace promiscuity as something that is part of a healthy Uni lifestyle?

dirty fresher freshers one night stand

So Freshers’ week is over. The hangovers are fading, ‘Fresher’s Flu’ is beginning to kick in, and some are starting to regret that drunken fumble with that person who’s name you can’t quite remember.

Should we feel guilty for getting our leg over or our body under? Why not just embrace promiscuity as something that is part of a healthy uni lifestyle?

We’ve all seen those girls getting in at 10am, still wearing the clothes they went out in the night before, only with the new addition of a lad’s hoodie for warmth. Instead of keeping your heads down and creeping back to bed before anyone sees you, I reckon, you should look on the bright side: after all, you did get a free hoodie out of it, if nothing else.

Now I’m no Casanova by any stretch of the imagination but what seems strange is that we only really apply the term ‘walk of shame’ when in reference women. It just doesn’t make sense.

Women are sexual beings as well as men. Why can’t they just have sex without the stigma of being labeled a slut? A guy will end up being ‘the lad’ when he pulls, so why aren’t women congratulated?

Double standards are never a good thing.

I did a bit of research and you might like to know that Jessica Alba, actress and former FHM Sexiest Woman in the World, doesn’t seem to have a problem with the occasional one night stand:

“I don’t think a girl is a slut if she enjoys sex. I could have a one-night stand, and I’m the kind of girl who looks over in the morning and is like, do you really have to be here?”

Now that’s a good piece of advice to keep in mind. Never overstay your welcome. Know when to get in, know when to get out. This is a sprint not a marathon and breakfast in bed is certainly not on the menu.

It’s all a bit of harmless fun and it definitely makes for a more interesting university experience.

She was surprised with a finger up the back passage

I’m not going to name names, but this girl I know certainly got a shock when she went back to a guy’s house when he surprised her with a finger up the back passage!

“After the first time I laughed and told him to calm it down but after the second I thought ‘f*** this!’ and ran out the house.”

Unfortunately, she’d forgotten her purse and phone and so had to go back and ask for them the next morning. Although I should feel for her, you’ve got to admit, that is pretty funny.

I’ve said that I don’t really see the problem in one-night stands, but part of it is all about finding the balance: bringing someone home every week may seem like a good idea at the time but be careful. Don’t be surprised if people aren’t willing to get into a real relationship when you’re done having your wicked way with the castoffs. Sluts and man-whores are never an attractive option.

One night stands are obviously not for everybody and that’s fine but others shouldn’t judge. As long as people are being safe and discreet then what’s the harm? Let students abandon the Walk of Shame and instead embrace the Stride of Pride if they want to. After all, we’ll be 30 before you know it! Now there’s a grim thought for you.