The Sober Fresher’s Challenge

Fresher’s week: a daunting time for new students to put their drinking, dancing and socialising abilities to the test.

| UPDATED challenge fresher sober

Fresher’s week: a daunting time for new students to put their drinking, dancing and socialising abilities to the test. It became all the more frightening for me when I was placed on antibiotics for three days; left to face my new companions…sober.

Day One:

After being warned about drugs at university by the Afinil Express review, the last thing I expected to be trying was Trimethoprim. I took a trip to the clinic and was surprised to see it humming with hungover Freshers with a whole host of newly acquired injuries.

The nurse uttered the words: “No alcohol for three days.”

I returned to Halls expecting to find a group of giddy students. Strangely, I found my new companions tired and worn out, favouring a night of Downtown Abbey over a night down town.

Day Two:

After the previous night’s success, I was prepared for the worst: a night of looking after those vomiting, passing out, or spontaneously bursting into song.

I braved the pub quiz and I treated myself to a cheeky orange juice whilst the others picked something stronger.

The quiz was a great way to get to know everybody. After our great performance, the decision whether to go out or not was made for me: another night of television (Doctor Who, of course). Some went out, although there was a surprising majority still suffering from two nights before! Amateurs.

Day Three:

Feeling slightly like a failed Fresher, I took my final dose and, after a quick check on Google, I decided to go for it that night. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. The Nurse’s advice was proven valid, as after two drinks, the night quickly became a boozed-crazed blur. I did have a great night but if there’s one thing I’ve realised this week, it’s you don’t always have to ‘get on it’ to get on with people.

Things I missed out on:

• Dancing the night away
  • Having a night out
  • Having an awful headache the next day

Things I gained:

• Sleep
  • Money
  • Having a night in
  • Sober conversation