From Lincoln student accommodation to a houseshare: What’s the difference?

Paying £2.50+ for washing doesn’t have to last forever!

For most first years, the university experience at Lincoln properly begins within one of the various available accommodation options. Here, you encounter (probably for the first time) what it’s like to share your living space with peers. Usually sharing a flat with a random assortment of people, your living space during your first year is a comfortable introduction to life as a student in Lincoln.

Typically, this first year in halls can be rather different to where you live for the remaining years of your degree. Second-years and beyond trade the fun of halls for the freedom of a houseshare. Some elements of this change are unexpected, whilst others are certainly selling points (spending £2.50 each time you wanna wash your clothes is not as affordable for a student as it’s said to be). These are the biggest differences between what you’re used to in halls, and what to expect if you leave them.

Owning your own washer/dryer

Sick of sending passive-aggressive messages to the accommodation groupchat because someone’s hogging all the washers? Worry no longer. One of the most underrated aspects of moving from halls to a houseshare is finally owning a household washer/dryer – if you’re lucky, these will be separate.

Gone are the days of forking out £3+ each time you want to dry your towels – or glumly waiting 2-3 business days for them to dry on your clothes horse in an attempt to save money. Underrated by long-term homeowners, but a bonus for students who are trying to save every penny they can.

Longer walks to campus

Moving away from campus can either be the best thing or the worst for your studies (depending on who you ask). Being further away from lecture buildings, waking up at 8:45 on Monday and still somehow making it to your 9AM may not be as achievable as it once was.

Although living away from campus allows for independence, and a sense of separation between your studies and your home life, you’ll have to make somewhat of a more conscientious effort to be as punctual and organised as before.

Neighbours (that aren’t students)

If you enjoy listening to the drunk screams of fellow students during the early hours of the morning, this may be an aspect of moving away that will make you sad. Moving from halls and into a houseshare usually involves interacting with citizens of Lincoln that do not frequent Home and Quack each week. This aspect is crucial to consider in order to be polite and welcome neighbours – after all, a family of four aren’t going to be as forgiving as the flat across the hall if you’re blasting music at ridiculous hours.

However, getting along with your neighbours can be one of the most rewarding aspects of moving away from halls. They can give useful advice about the neighbourhood you’re moving into, help collect your post if you’re out of the house, and can even give you the privilege of babysitting their bunny!

A more homely experience

One of the best aspects of moving from halls is how homely and comfortable you can make a house. The communal space is typically bigger, and you’re usually in a much larger bedroom than you were during first year. Unlike halls, you usually have much more creative freedom in a house. Each one has its own charm, and you and your housemates can have fun making the space yours.

Houseshares also usually allow you access to your own garden. This can be a huge upgrade from what you’re used to in halls – sitting on the lonely benches outside your accommodation, and avoiding miscellaneous patches of liquid from Friday night chaos, to get fresh air. Instead, you can utilise your new garden space as an upgraded smoking area.

Regardless of which option you choose, finding a place to call home during your degree – and friends you can share that space with – will allow for a much more enjoyable experience during your time here in Lincoln.