Five haunted spots in Lincoln to visit this Halloween

Are you brave enough to explore Lincoln’s most haunted places?

With Halloween approaching, it’s a good time to get cosy with your pumpkin spiced latte and read ghost stories. Lincoln is full of historical buildings and home to many haunted locations that have a long history of ghost sightings and paranormal activities that have been passed down for many generations. Here are the nine most haunted places we think are worth visiting… at your own risk…

The Famous Horse and Rider 

Starting with the most famous tale of all, up the hill at the most famous location of all. At the top of Steep Hill lies both Lincoln Cathedral and Lincoln Castle, and in 1992 between these two historic works of architecture a ghostly sighting was reported. A concerned man came crashing through the cobbled street on a frantic, bolting horse before coming to a halt at the castle gate. Since then, two others have claimed to hear an alarming sound of galloping when approaching this area in the very early hours of the morning – both of which were unaware of the previous sighting.

Many explanations for this occurrence have been suggested; they all entertain the idea that a messenger was hurriedly bringing a pardon to a felon about to be hanged, but arrived too late. Or, the messenger did not arrive at all… Some stories say that he fell from his horse and died. Others say that he forgot the urgency of his mission and abandoned it completely, never to be seen again. Some believe from this terrifying tale that the horse riding man is the messenger, trying to deliver the pardon in order to save a life, forevermore in his own death.

Greestone Stairs

If you want to get back down Steep Hill without slipping and rolling down the hill (come on, you know you have an irrational fear of this), one option is to take Greestone Stairs. Be warned, many sightings of ghostly figures have been spotted on these steps such as a woman dressed in old-fashioned clothing, cradling a baby in her arms. Reports have stated that some people suddenly feel very cold without any explanation when walking down these stairs. This energy could also be the ghost of a clergyman who committed suicide by hanging. Some say the man hanged himself from the very arch that takes you down the stairs and onto our next haunted location. 

The Ruskington Horror

If you’re fancying a city break over your upcoming reading week, what would be better than heading to a remote part of the A15 and searching for the Ruskington Horror? Nothing like a good, old-fashioned, danger-inducing ghost to make you feel replenished. This immensely haunted location has even been discussed on the well-loved breakfast show This Morning in 1998. After a Sleaford landlord called into the show to tell of his own experience when driving near Ruskington, many others just like him shared truly-lived ghost stories from the same patch of road. 

Ruskington is a village in South Lincolnshire next door to Sleaford. It can be an unpleasant drive in the dark: arched by trees and headlights hidden by bends. Many ghosts have been spotted beside the road here, but sightings of a man’s face in front of windscreens when driving through has been repeated by many. His face has appeared greenish with deep-set eyes. It is often regarded that he is, or was, a hitchhiker. No thanks.

Bracebridge Heath 

As you hurry back to Lincoln after dealing with the Ruskington Horror, you might as well frighten yourself more by stopping off at Bracebridge Heath. Just south of the city, this town is home to an abandoned lunatic asylum. One part of the asylum, known as St John’s Hospital, is now a restaurant named The Homestead. Two different figures have been spotted here – a grey lady, and an old man who is usually witnessed in the bar. Once, he deeply unsettled a four year old boy during a dinner party. 

Other strange happenings have occurred here, including the weird sound of something heavy thudding and dragging upstairs… Could the previous inmates of this place be to blame?

Brown’s Pie Shop

It’s probably best to end this on a more light-hearted note. Brown’s Restaurant and Pie Shop on Steep Hill is home to a ghost named Humphrey who is potentially just an eight year old boy. Humphrey loves to cause mayhem in this pie place, so one of the chefs made it a habit to say hello to Humphrey each and every morning in order to keep his spirits high (pun intended). When this routine isn’t practised, strange happenings which vary from the feeling of being watched right to the throwing of a knife have been reported. 

Ultimately, Humphrey is well-known and well-loved, and doesn’t do much harm. If you take a trip to this shop with the hopes of witnessing a Humphrey Happening, he will most likely only spite you by simply avoiding you.

And with that, your exploration of Lincoln’s ghosts will come to a close. That’s if you dare to venture out there in the first place…

Related articles recommended by this writer:

10 iconic BeReal moments that sum up the life of every Lincoln student

A car has crashed into a Lincoln student house on Gresham Street

From face masks to tarot cards: This was my experience at the Lincoln Samhain Event