From student friendly milkshakes to a giant lion: We rate TripAdvisor’s best things to do in Lincoln

Get ready for a lot of walking

As the new semester swings into full flow, many of you may be looking for ways to relax in the rare times you don’t have to rush to the library to do work. TripAdvisor has over 200 places and activities to choose from on their popular best things to do in Lincoln section but we are here to save you some searching and give you our top five things to do in Lincoln.

Thank you, TripAdvisor, for the inspiration.

5. Steep Hill 

Although not the most imaginatively named (it’s literally a very steep hill after all) it’s basically impossible to avoid and definitely on the bucket list for any student. With a collection of independent shops, cafes, restaurants, bars and of course the historic cathedral and castle at the top, there’s something for everyone as long as you don’t mind the walk.

If you need a rest you can pop into Goodies of Lincoln, the traditional sweet shop halfway up Steep Hill. With every sweet imaginable lining the walls, it’s every student’s dream. If you’re an animal lover then be sure to drop into the cat cafe, whilst the more fashionable ones of us may prefer one of the many clothes shops.

4. Cafe Gelato 

With a lovely window display, full of scrumptious looking cakes, Cafe Gelato is the place to go if you ever find yourself looking for something sweet. You’re also covered for summer with a range of ice cream to choose from. It may be on the more expensive side, but it’s totally worth it for the amount of cake you get. For anyone with a very sweet tooth, the salted caramel chocolate fudge cake is a must try and it’s gluten free.

3. Cornhill Quarter

An easy alternative for students who don’t want to make the daunting trek up Steep Hill. Cornhill Quarter may be new but it’s already home to a variety of shops and restaurants, perfect for students. Be sure to visit Cupp, the bubble tea shop, for a refreshing drink. If you’ve never had a bubble tea, then the strawberry with mango popping bubbles is a good place to start. For a longer stop, ideal for socialising without the busy rush of a Wetherspoons, take a trip to the Cosy Club. With calm lighting, quiet music and a great range of food and drink, it’s the perfect place to sit back and relax with some friends.

2. The Lincoln Arboretum 

Who doesn’t love a huge park especially at this time of year as the trees begin to drop their conkers. At the arboretum you can see ducks swimming in the lake as the water features splash, confident squirrels running around the giant stone lion and a few happy dogs enjoying their walk. A trip to the on-site cafe is also needed with its cheap prices and delicious toasties.

For anyone who’s ever wondered if the magical land of Narnia really existed, this is the closest you’re going to get to it and with the high street only 10 minutes away it’s great for taking a break after a busy day to get away from the usual busy Lincoln streets.

1. Eskimoos

If you ever just fancy a walk to town, a trip to either of Lincoln’s two milkshake shops is a must. Located on St Marks Street opposite Tesco, and another next to Subway and Coffee Aroma on Guildhall Street, you could have a milkshake in your hands within 15 minutes. With over 100 flavours, there’s something for everyone including the Student Shake Awake for those who struggle with their early nine AM lectures.

10 iconic BeReal moments that sum up the life of every Lincoln student

A car has crashed into a Lincoln student house on Gresham Street

From face masks to tarot cards: This was my experience at the Lincoln Samhain Event