Every disaster you’ll experience as a fresher living in Pavillions

The ultimate hurdle has to be the wind tunnel

Living away from home for the first time is a huge deal. You quickly learn that whilst uni accommodation like Pavillions can be fun, disasters are bound to happen and are ultimately inevitable.

Whilst seemingly frustrating, the unavoidable chaos of living in student accommodation provides some of the fondest and funniest memories whilst at uni, which will keep you laughing and reminiscing until third year. Here is everything to prepare you for the disasters you will face during your stay at Pavs.

Realising you don’t own a hoover

This is bad news somewhere like Pavs, where you’ll be forced to traipse through the courtyard with Henry – the resident hoover who lives in Reception. If you live in C block or D block you have a long way to travel with that thing; which is extremely humbling as the cable drags loudly the whole way back to the flat.

Having to walk to the big gate to let visitors in 

Want to host pres? Good luck. Every time one of your guests arrives you will have to walk over to the gate to let them in. Again – bad news if you’re in C block or D block. However, you may be lucky and discover that they have snuck their way in by following other Pavs residents (who are mostly third-years) who enter with their own keys. In that case, you’ll probably end up giving the fellow resident an awkward ‘thank you’ smile as they glare at you for the flood of freshers trailing behind them. 

The conspicuous speed-walking when approaching the gate 

Continuing with the gate theme: when the tables are turned and you find you have forgotten your own set of keys, you will unfortunately end up jogging behind other residents as discreetly as possible to arrive at the gate at the same time as them. Of course, as the year progresses you give up your dignity and end up doing this every day, just because your keys are at the bottom of your bag and you want to procrastinate having to dig them out. 

The wind tunnel 

If you haven’t already discovered this, Pavs is home to an epic wind tunnel. It’s approaching 9am, you’re running late to a lecture, and you’ve brushed your hair the best you can in your tired and hungover state. You approach the reception, turn left around the corner towards the exit, and in that short walk past the laundrette, it hits you. 

Suddenly your hair is everywhere and your vision has gone. There’s probably a tumbleweed about to fly into your face, or a STOP sign (if you know you know). Your outfit is ruined and you just want to turn back around and go to bed.

Thinking Morrisons is nearby until you have four full bags of shopping to carry home

It may seem just a stone’s throw away, but when you’ve stocked up on milk, pasta and alcohol, you’re not going to enjoy the walk home. The aching arms are simply not worth the splash of milk on your morning cornflakes. The best advice would be to invest in a granny trolley. 

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Every disaster you’ll experience as a fresher living in Lincoln Courts

Lincoln student reports sighting a man ‘with a gun’ in the city centre

University of Lincoln questionnaire accused of using hate speech towards autistic people