Meet the Lincoln student who is known for her legendary shark glasses on a night out 

But this shark preys on freshers rather than fish

If you’ve ever been on a night out in Lincoln, you’ve probably heard of the shark glasses girl. Emma Jackson is the owner of the blue shark-themed sunglasses, best known for taking pictures of Lincoln’s liveliest club-goers in her signature glasses. And if you’ve ever been snapped in the shades, you’ve definitely featured on her Instagram page which has over 265 loyal followers.   

Emma Jackson wearing her famous glasses

Emma, a 21-year-old Forensic Psychology student at the University of Lincoln has always been a huge fan of Lincoln’s club scene and can be seen out almost every night with her trusty pair of the city’s most famous eye wear.  Shark glasses first started on Freshers’ Week 2021 on the last night. Emma and her Danesgate friends set drunken missions for each other for a funny TikTok they were making. Emma’s mission was to get a photo of 10 people wearing her shark glasses which she always had on her. She easily beat this goal and managed nearly 70 pictures of random clubbers all in one night all proudly wearing the glasses.

Due to the instant success, Emma decided to capitalise on the popularity and made the Instagram @sharkglasses to post the photos on to. Since then, the account has gone on to post over 200 pictures of clubbers.  Despite the number of enthusiastic shark glasses fans, Emma still can’t believe the amount of attention she gets because of them on a night out.

She said: “It’s always been a bit of fun for me, so I find it funny that people know me for it and come up to me with my Instagram, asking if it’s me.”  

Shark glasses Instagram page

The glasses have given Emma the chance to meet so many students who all want a picture with her and to get onto the Instagram page. Emma said: “There are some people that are on the Instagram multiple times because they come over every time they see me. There are still new people most nights too.

“Strangely, I met my friend through my glasses, we kept bumping into each other on a night out because of them. Now she’s one of my closest friends.”

Emma and her shark glasses are like cheese on chips, they’re simply meant for each other, but this doesn’t stop some people trying to split them up. She said: “Many people have tried to take them, but I always seem to get them back, I’m too protective over them now. Someone in Freshers’ Week this year ran off with them at Home and I chased him through half the club to get them back.”

For those of you who have tried and failed to steal Emma’s glasses, you’re in luck. On Thursday 20th October, Home is putting on a DIY Disco event called DIY “Under the sea” Disco- Shark glasses takeover. They’ve been in contact with Emma to arrange the night and they’ve come up with an idea like no other. Emma said: “We’re attempting a world record for the most pictures of people wearing shark glasses in one night at DIY Disco in October. That’s everyone’s chance to get their hands on a pair.  

“My glasses started out as a TikTok and now it’s a theme for a club night? It’s so crazy.”  

Emma is in her final year of university and she plans to log out of her shark glasses account for good when she leaves Lincoln next summer. She said: “It’s only ever been a Lincoln thing for me, so I think once I’ve graduated that’ll be it unless someone wants to take it over from me.” 

So, the next time you’re out at Home, Superbull or Union remember to look out for the girl in the shark glasses and get a picture with one of Lincoln’s most well known gimmicks.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Eight Great British Bake Off memes every Lincoln student can relate to

500 University of Lincoln students are being forced out of their accommodation due to fire safety concerns

Lincolnshire Police looking for a man after he threatened to kill student with samurai sword