Lincoln Uni visiting professor charged over alleged plot to harvest organs from a child

The uni has said it is ‘deeply concerned’

A visiting professor at the University of Lincoln has been charged after allegedly plotting to harvest organs from a child.

Ike Ekweremadu, 60, who is a Nigerian district senator as well as a barrister and a professor, has been charged alongside a second defendant, his 55-year-old wife, Beatrice Nwanneka Ekweremadu.

The married pair live in Nigeria but have family in London and were allegedly plotting to transport the child to the UK in order to harvest organs.

Organ harvesting is a practice which involves surgically removing parts of the body against the victims will for financial gain.

Both defendants were charged  under section two of the 2015 Modern Slavery Act, with conspiracy to arrange and/or facilitate travel of another person with a view to exploitation, the LincolnshireLive reports.

The uni said Ekweremadu will not be undertaking any duties as a visiting professor whilst the investigation is ongoing.

The Metropolitan Police have said the child, who is said to be 15 years old, has been taken into care.

The Met said detectives were made aware of alleged offences and an investigation was opened in May 2022. Ekweremandu and his wife were to appear at Uxbridge Magistrates’ court on Thursday 23rd June.

A spokesperson for the University of Lincoln said: “Visiting professors are often, as is in this case, non-resident at the university, unpaid and advisory.

“We are deeply concerned about the nature of these allegations but as this is an active police investigation, we cannot comment further at this stage.

“Whilst this matter is subject to investigation, this person will not be undertaking any duties as visiting professor at Lincoln.”

Trebles employee wins unfair dismissal claim after sharing comments about ‘creepy’ boss