Meet the candidates running in Lincoln SU’s Volunteer Officer Elections 2022

Voting closes on Friday!

Another week, another Facebook group filled with manifestos and endorsements. Last week your new student leaders were elected, but now it is time to place your votes for the next volunteer officers.

This election is different from previous years due to the separation of both student leader and volunteer officer voting period.

Voting is now open to vote in your future volunteer officers and will close at 2 pm on Friday. Do you want to know more about the candidates running in this year’s elections and how they describe themselves? Well, look no further, we have got you covered!

Societies Officer

Zachariah Magracia (he/him)

‘Your dynamic officer. Your dynamic SU.’

Why are you running in this year’s volunteer officer elections?

I want to run for societies officer as a way to more proactively improve the student experience, and further solidify the trust between students, the university, and the Students’ Union.

With my previous experience as a society president, working alongside the current society, sports, and academic officers as the ‘Cluster Rep for Recreational’, and getting firsthand feedback from students as student bar staff at Towers. I have the skills, passion, and knowledge fit for the role.

What difference will you make on campus if elected?

If elected, I will work on multiple fronts to bring a sense of ease to campus. I believe dynamic, fresh ideas are needed in order to bring the SU up to the standard that students want from them.

For students, being more accessible to contact for any reason, being free to call, text, or even meet up in person. Any and all concerns will be raised up in meetings with the VPA, and typed into a document for the SU departments to respond to.

For societies, streamline SU venue hiring systems, making the process of finding a slot for societies in any SU venue easier to manage. Work with societies in networking with other businesses in Lincoln, should they wish to have a social outside the SU.

If you could change one thing about the city what would it be?

One thing I would change about Lincoln (or rather, further improve on) is its culture! Lincoln’s venues, history, and location play a key role in making Lincoln a hub for events and festivals, and I think by further promoting this fact, by hosting more film festivals, art exhibitions, and music gigs city-wide. Lincoln can act as a beacon of culture for the Midlands, and the UK as a whole!

How would you describe yourself in just three words?

Approachable, confident, and dynamic.

Sports Officer

Emma Courtie

A voice for all sports

Luke Joinson

Vote Luke #1 Sports Officer

Disabilities Officer

Heather Groves (they/she)

‘Fighting to ensure that inclusion is not an illusion here at Lincoln’

I am running for disabilities officer because I want to be a voice for disabled students and for students to have an accessible and inclusive learning experience.

My main aims are a community mentorship programme that will offer guidance for disabled international students, help with the DSA process and create a community for disabled students.

An accessible learning experience where I will make societies, sports and academic societies more accessible by working with the VPA and activities officers, and challenging disability perceptions where I will increase acceptance of mental health challenges as a disability, reduce the stigma associated with invisible disabilities.

Make Steep Hill easier to get up!

Passionate, determined and caring!

Lauryn Anderson (she/her)

I am running in this election to help other disabled students, like myself, feel like they have a voice at the university.

If elected I will focus on three key points: accessibility, awareness and tackling ableism. As a full-time wheelchair user, I have really struggled with accessibility whilst on campus, sometimes resulting in me missing out on social and academic events.

If elected, I would love to work with the relevant people to work on making campus and SU buildings more accessible as possible, so no student has to be left out.

The hills! Especially Steep Hill, it’s hard enough wheeling around in my wheelchair, but hills are a big no no.

Creative, passionate, and bubbly.

LGBT+ Officer

Jude Maughan

‘For the girls, gays and theys’

Kira Clayton

‘Addressing LGBT+ needs by making sanitary facilities available to all’

Womens Officer

Natalia Synak (they/them/theirs)

‘Helping women rule the world’

I have decided to run for the womens officer role as I am passionate about equality and opportunities for everyone, regardless of gender. I believe I can make a difference for all that identify as women at the university.

I would like to create an environment where anyone can come forward and talk about [abuse and sexual assault], knowing that something will be done with it.

I would make the streets of Lincoln safer, as at the moment it seems walking once it gets dark can be quite dangerous.

Ambitious, passionate, and creative.

International Students Association Officer

Adesola Oluleye

‘Vote Dodomi for ISA officer’

Athanasios Tsanaktsidis (he/him)

‘By the students for the students’

I am running for the ISA officer role because I have the appropriate experience and potential to represent the students’ voices. Over the past two years, I have been an international pen pal member. As an EU representative of the ISA committee, I have already had experience working with the EU and international students.

I would promote multicultural events. Increasing the participation of home students and international in multicultural events like Diwali and Lunar New Year.

More franchise stores to give better employment opportunities.

Never give up.

Tuyen Vo

‘Achieve your goals at UoL with my support as an ISA member’

Community Officer

Faith Jones (she/they)

‘Vote Faith #1 community for safety, social spaces, and support’

I am running in the elections because I really care about the community at the University of Lincoln. I have experience within the SU and I want to use that experience to make a change! I am running for community officer to help create a more inclusive and representative environment for both students and locals in Lincoln.

My main focus is on nighttime safety. I want to ensure that students living in external student housing are fully informed of their choices, and are provided with security devices, advice and generally safer options.

I will also provide more opportunities in which people can feel part of a wider but close-knit community – particularly by holding events for those who perhaps don’t typically enjoy crowded spaces or alcohol.

I would love to make Lincoln less windy and sunnier! On a serious note, I would like to see more amplification of the ways in which people can get their voices heard.

Approachable, genuine, and focused.

Kelly Quinton-Jones (she/her)

‘Strengthening community’

I am running for this position as I am extremely passionate about representing our community, student wellbeing and improving students’ university experience overall.

This past year has allowed me to get to know students, their concerns and listen to their feedback and implement changes or raise concerns with the university and Students’ Union. I’d love to be able to continue representing our community and achieve the aims of my manifesto.

If I am elected, I aim to support the VP Wellbeing & Community achieve their goals. Within my manifesto, I wish to hold more Reclaim the Night demonstrations and remembrance vigils, alongside hosting more self-defence classes and handing out personal safety alarms to all students.

It would definitely be to make Steep Hill less of a challenge!

Observant, kind, and considerate.

LIBS – Lincoln International Business School

Rebecca De Souza (she/her)

‘Your experience matters’

To hopefully make a positive impact by representing all student voices. I am passionate about student experiences and I am determined to listen to all students and make positive changes on their behalf.

I would aim to make sure that all opportunities available to students are advertised effectively. A lot of the changes students want or would like to see are already available and I found that they are not aware or not promoted effectively.

I wouldn’t change anything. I absolutely love Lincoln.

Passionate, energetic, friendly.

College of Science

Abigail Tranter (she/her)

‘A vote for me is a vote for you, your college, your ideas, your opinions and your choice’

I feel I have the skills necessary to help put students first and in control of their experience. It would be an enriching experience to be enabled to interact with a variety of students across various schools.

The provision with student leaders and staff support and permission, for a showcase for the College of Science.

If I had to change one thing it’d be things that contribute to matters of convenience. For example, Lidl being closer.

Organised, enthusiastic, innovative.

William Evans

‘When there’s a Will, there’s a way. Vote Will Evans #1 for College of Science Officer today!’

College of Social Science

Lucy Clarke (she/her)

‘Engage, showcase, communicate’

As the current elected School Rep for the School of Sport and Exercise Science, I have demonstrated the ability to provide constructive recommendations for improvements across the University and School, whilst representing the views of students. I aim to further my work on a college-level, by utilising student feedback and implementing new approaches across the board.

I would like to run for college officer, as I aim to work with School Reps in planning, organising and delivering campaigns surrounding these opportunities, making sure that students are constantly informed of ways to get involved and boost their experience. I would also like to engage students on a college-level, allowing students to interact with those from other Schools, through social activities such as quizzes.

Having attended a number of career-focused meetings this academic year, I also aim to work with Careers and Employability in delivering more college-focused career sessions.

I aim to build on the current College Officer’s work in supporting School Reps by holding more frequent support meetings with the reps and working closely with the college’s directors of teaching and learning and student engagement leads, as to create a secure and effective academic support network for students.

If elected for the role of College of Social Science Officer, I aim to showcase and increase employability and volunteer opportunities within the college’s schools, whilst also increasing student engagement with wider curriculum opportunities. It would also be my aim to improve communication between all-volunteer officers and staff college-wide, utilising a top-to-bottom approach.

Can I say nothing? I love it!

Passionate, optimistic, flexible.

College of Arts

Courtney Baldwin

‘Vote Courtney #1 for College Officer – A vote for me is a voice for you!’

School of Social and Political Sciences

Kathryn Clews (she/her)

‘Vote Kate, the next voice of the School of Social and Political Sciences’

As a course rep of two years, I have had first-hand experience of listening to and addressing student concerns and would love to continue this at a higher level. I want to represent the students and be their voice to make their experience and engagement better!

If elected I will aim to implement study groups for students to work together and socialise. I helped facilitate this in the past and this was a huge success for the students in attendance, and it was well-received when mentioned about doing it again to the students themselves.

In addition, I would like to up the social side of the school and bring us together as a community. For example, hosting events such as school quiz nights or dinners, or even online events, would be so much fun! Finally, I will be a voice and someone that people can come to with their concerns!

Lincoln as a city, I feel has a gap in the market for non-drinking-related event spaces. I come from Essex and we have places for students to go if they don’t want to drink but still want to go out, for example bowling alleys or monopoly experiences and even a walking treasure hunt! I think in town especially we should have some more of these spaces to give students more things to do, closer to their accommodations, so they don’t have to drive to it and not feel they always have to drink

Bubbly, energetic, and solution-driven.

School of LSFM

Alex Saunders (he/him)

‘Re-elect Alex for school rep’

I am running in the elections this year to retain my role. I have enjoyed my time in the role and I wish to continue helping students. I wish to help create opportunities with an EDI committee and the restarting of the LSFM society to help improve the student experience.

I wish to see that students feel represented on campus and if I am elected I will help to make that happen.

Lincoln as a city needs more seating.

Smart, strong, and stable.

Jaimie Clarke

James Davis

‘Votes for James’

School of Computer Science

Alex Thumwood

‘Hey! Listen!’

John Brock (he/him)

‘Aiming to improve communication, build community, and champion change. Vote BROCK for SoCS!’

I am running to help promote open communication within SoCS, as well as increased transparency in how the SU and reps are supporting and representing students.

I also want to help build upon the great previous work in buildings a SoCS community – working with the relevant societies to increase engagement and events.

I want to see where we can increase inter-course and inter-school collaboration as this will not only help SoCS students but also help to build the overall sense of community across the university.

Probably move the train lines so no more waiting for a million trains

Determined, inquisitive, optimistic.

Josh Cooper

‘To improve school-wide communication’

School of Marketing

Amelia Hinton (she/her)

‘Your course, your voice, your choice’

I have previous experience being a course rep which is a role I Ioved as it helped me make friends and enjoy my course even more. But also I have found that I really do enjoy studying here at the University of Lincoln and so I would love to be more involved by helping and supporting students next year with their studies. I have always enjoyed helping people and this would be a great opportunity for me to further enhance myself also.

If I am elected to be a school rep I would like to organise events within the Tourism and Marketing department so that students from a range of courses can socialise and make friends that are not on their course. I found it hard as a first year to meet people that were not on my course and as a student who studies events management I feel that this is something I would enjoy organising for everyone.

To include more parks and public seating areas for everyone to enjoy both at the university and in Lincoln city centre

Enthusiastic, ambitious, and reliable.

To find out more about school reps, click here.